PCI Passthrough - Raid controller

pumamilenium

Dec 28, 2018
Hi guys,
I'm a happy user of Proxmox VE hypervisor. Just tried to work with the new features of PCI passthrough in Proxmox VE 5.3.

I've hit a big problem : I've got a Dell Raid Controller, that's being used on the server to give a 1.4 Tb local storage Pool. It's a home testing server, so i don't have a problem working on it and fooling around with it.
But the problem is that being mounted as a storage device in fstab it's giving a error that it can't mount the partition, and it doesn't like the iommu activation. If i don't activate the iommu in grub, everything is fine, it's working with no problem.

Is there a solution to keep the RAID controller attached to the hypervizor ? and not to mark it as a device that can be passthrough ? I saw something regarding VMWare, in witch you would mark the device as vmkernel and not passthrough.
This way i could have the Raid Controller and have a powerful GPU, this would be the best combination for my home lab.

Thanks in advance.

Hi,

But the problem is that being mounted as a storage device in fstab it's giving a error that it can't mount the partition, and it doesn't like the iommu activation
This is not normal and should not happen. Please ensure that you are using current firmware on your HW (MB and raid).

i'm using the latest firmware. I've seen a thing, related to the RAID volume, i think it's part that i used a simple storage pool, and it's connected to Linux via fstab, not via LVM. I know it's not ok for fstab mounted storages, but i just need a simple way for some space. Will try to change all the Drives, right now i have 4 drives in a RAID 5 configuration, and it's perfect, but the drives are from around the house, and not very reliable, i will get 4 drives each 1 Tb and will recreate the whole RAID Array.
After that i will make a LVM pool or a directory mount, and i Think it's going to work.

I made tests and it's ok, just a problem related to the mounting of the storage pool. Thread resolved

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!