Passtrough usb keyboard

Bumblebee444

Jan 6, 2017
Hello all.
I have been playing around with proxmox and passing devices to vm's. For the
most part this has worked very well. Graphics card no problem, sata controller no problem, usb3 controller ok.

The worlds most simple usb device, the keyboard, big problem.

If I connect it to one of the hosts usb-ports and use usb0: host=XXXXX then the keyboard will connect and show up in the monitor no problem.
I've tried the alternative like this
args: -device sysbus-ohci,id=ohci -device usb-host,id=sigma,vendorid=0x1c4f,productid=0x0016
and that also shows up correctly in the monitor.

However the keyboard will for the life of me not work. I start the VM and the keyboard is obviously trying to start, all the leds on the keyboard flashes intermittently. (pounding constantly on the keys will sometimes generate a letter)

This keyboard (like all others I've come across) is a low speed 1.5Mb device.
If I do the same procedure with a logitech wireless receiver then the keyboard connected to the receiver works well. That receiver shows up as a 12Mb device (full speed i think it's called).

If I use the passed-trough usb3 controller then the keyboard behaves in pretty much the same way except when windows (in the vm) has booted it suddenly start working correctly.

Problems solved you might think but no.
I need a wired keyboard to work BEFORE windows has loaded properly as i need to enter the unlock password for the hard drive. Doing that over a wireless keyboard (or from another computer using SPICE) would really compromise the security.

Any ideas? I am open to all suggestions.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!