ovs + pve-firewall MTU problems

Mar 22, 2017
Hi guys,

We've installed proxmox with open-vswitch to use vxlan over a ovs-bridge. This has been working for a while but it seems that if you enable the pve-firewall, the VMs are not using the ovs-bridge any more and instead use a newly generated "fw" - bridge, e.g.

24: tap9999i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 8900 qdisc pfifo_fast master fwbr9999i0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000
40: fwbr9999i0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP group default qlen 1000
41: fwln9999o0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue master fwbr9999i0 state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1

So the primary interface of VM 9999 (tap9999i0) is using the new bridge fwbr9999i0 for its traffic. Previously (before the pve-firewall activation), it was set to use 'ovs-system', e.g.

10: tap19999i1: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,PROMISC,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 8900 qdisc pfifo_fast master ovs-system state UNKNOWN group default qlen 1000

Our main problem is that now we can't set the MTU to 8900 (for jumbo-frames) for that VM interface (and the ovs-bridge will fall back to MTU 1500). Without the firewall all is working as expected.

Has anyone had similar issues / setups or any thoughts?

/etc/network/interfaces:

iface eth0 inet manual
mtu 9000

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports vx1 vx2
mtu 8900

auto vx1
allow-vmbr1 vx1
iface vx1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSTunnel
ovs_bridge vmbr1
ovs_tunnel_type vxlan
ovs_tunnel_options options:remote_ip=xx.xx.xx.xx options:key=flow options:dst_port=9999

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!