OVS adding VLANs without reboot

totalimpact

Renowned Member
Dec 12, 2010
Can someone verify the my understanding of OVS vs old Linux network stack-

If I set a Linux Bridge to VLAN aware, I could add as many VMs with different VLAN ids as I want, and any time I want, without rebooting the host.

Correct me on this part-
On OVS, documentation seems to state I have to add the VLAN as an int port on the OVS bridge? Requiring a host reboot.

I just tested without adding the VLAN as an int port, and just specified a new VLAN on a new nic on my VM, and it works.

So what is the purpose of defining a VLAN as an int port in proxmox? Just to have the ability to assign an IP to the proxmox host? Or is there something I am missing?

I am testing with LACP laggs, here is my sample config, eth0-3 are 1gb links, eth4 is 10gb for storage sync between 2 nodes-
Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  192.168.0.21
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        bridge_ports eth0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
#Backdoor interface, no tags

allow-ovs vmbr1

allow-vmbr1 vlan11
iface vlan11 inet static
        address  10.0.11.51
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        ovs_type OVSIntPort
        ovs_bridge vmbr1
        ovs_options tag=11
        ovs_extra set interface ${IFACE} external-ids:iface-id=$(hostname -s)-${                                                                                                                                                              IFACE}-vif
        mtu 1500

allow-vmbr1 vlan3
iface vlan3 inet static
        address  10.0.3.51
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        ovs_type OVSIntPort
        ovs_bridge vmbr1
        ovs_options tag=3
        ovs_extra set interface ${IFACE} external-ids:iface-id=$(hostname -s)-${                                                                                                                                                              IFACE}-vif
        mtu 9000

iface eth1 inet manual

iface eth2 inet manual

iface eth3 inet manual

iface eth4 inet manual

allow-vmbr1 bond1
iface bond1 inet manual
        ovs_bonds eth1 eth2 eth3
        ovs_type OVSBond
        ovs_bridge vmbr1
        ovs_options lacp=active bond_mode=balance-tcp other_config:lacp-time=fas                                                                                                                                                              t
        pre-up ( ifconfig eth1 mtu 9000 && ifconfig eth2 mtu 9000 )
        mtu 9000                                                                                                                                                          't mean that any OVSIntPorts must be jumbo-capable. We cannot, however set up de                                                                                                                                                              finitions for eth1 and eth2 directly due to what appear to be bugs in the initia                                                                                                                                                              lization process.

allow-vmbr4 bond4
iface bond4 inet manual
        ovs_type OVSBond
        ovs_bridge vmbr4
        ovs_options lacp=active bond_mode=balance-tcp other_config:lacp-time=fas                                                                                                                                                              t

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
        ovs_type OVSBridge
        ovs_ports bond1 vlan11 vlan3 vlan1
        mtu 9000                                                                                                                                                           lists ovs_bridge vmbr1!  Not sure why it needs this       kind of cross-referenc                                                                                                                                                              ing but it won't work without it!

auto vmbr4
iface vmbr4 inet manual
        ovs_type OVSBridge
        ovs_ports bond4 vlan55

allow-vmbr4 vlan55
iface vlan55 inet static
        address  10.0.55.51
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        ovs_type OVSIntPort
        ovs_bridge vmbr4
        ovs_options tag=55
# 10gb for data sync between nodes

allow-vmbr1 vlan1
iface vlan1 inet static
        address  192.168.0.51
        netmask  255.255.255.0
        gateway  192.168.0.1
        ovs_type OVSIntPort
        ovs_bridge vmbr1
        ovs_options tag=1
#Default VLAN

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!