[SOLVED] OVMF boot - setting not saved?

iwik

Oct 7, 2021
Hi,
I am trying to migrate VMs from esxi which were installed in uefi mode. I have created proxmox vm, imported disks. Then set boot mode to OVMF and added EFI disk, as doc says. Using EFI shell I am able to boot OS. But automatic boot is not working. I can add boot entry using steps in wiki https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/OVMF/UEFI_Boot_Entries I do save&commit settings.u

Screenshot_20211015_193830.png

but after reboot there are just default settings - boot order is just gone.

VM config:

Code:
agent: 1
bios: ovmf
boot: order=scsi0
cores: 1
cpu: host
efidisk0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-2,size=1M
machine: q35
memory: 2048
name: zabbix
net0: virtio=2A:64:11:1E:B3:DD,bridge=vmbr0,firewall=1,link_down=1
numa: 0
ostype: l26
scsi0: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-0,size=30G
scsi1: local-zfs:vm-100-disk-1,size=20G
scsihw: virtio-scsi-pci
smbios1: uuid=62c72ece-c8b6-4be5-9a7b-bb537d18e3e3
sockets: 1
vmgenid: adde73a7-2545-470f-a1f1-e3155fe64513

Code:
pve-manager/7.0-11/63d82f4e (running kernel: 5.11.22-4-pve)

After playing and detaching disks, changing controller to vmware pvscsi and then back virtio scsi and then enabling iothread for each disk it magically works :-/ But I am not sure what fixed it, but boot order is now saved.

wow. Just...wow. Unbelievable.

After having to fight with UEFI bioses for how these many years I still don't see what it buys normal mortals. The inconsistencies and other little crap like this and just the sheer aggravation and waste of time seems an awfully high price everyone has to pay just for the sake of a few marginal edge cases.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!