oVirt vs. Proxmox

DRVTiny

Feb 5, 2010
Who knows, what capabilities oVirt has that Proxmox hasnt and vice versa?
Now I see only one real concurent to Proxmox VE: it's oVirt from RedHat. But oVirt has very strange and strongly outdated documentation, so i dont understand, could oVirt be the successful replacement for Proxmox or not? :)

My suspicion is the oVirt will eventually become a core oss componet for RHEV, but as it stands the code is pretty rough. I would not consider oVirt for any for of production/test deployment at this time.

Plus, nothing has happened with ovirt in a very long time.. I was interested in it for a while, but nothing has happened with it. They talked about making a Fedora spin with it to help make quick and easy ovirt-nodes, but this never happens. It surprising that with all the publicity from Red Hat about KVM that they are not doing more work on it.

I spent about two hours on Ovirt site and found it very complex. Proxmox is definitely a superior product produced by a very intelligent team (I am very thankful to the team).;)

I spent about two hours on Ovirt site and found it very complex. Proxmox is definitely a superior product produced by a very intelligent team (I am very thankful to the team).;)

Yes, it's pretty nasty right now. It seemed to be very promising, much like sun xvmserver was, but both seemed to have stalled out.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!