Optional: Developer Workstations with Proxmox VE and X11 Proxmox

E

edumax64

Hi, i have installed Proxmox 2.0 from Bare-Metal Cd, from iso. After i have installed from guide
[h=1]Optional: Developer Workstations with Proxmox VE and X11[/h] Proxmox VE is primarily used as virtualization platform with NO additional software installed. In some case it makes sense to have a full desktop running on Proxmox VE, for example for developers using Proxmox VE as their primary workstation/desktop.
For example, just install gnome desktop:

aptitude install gnome-core gdm3 libcurl3 xdg-utils Make sure network-manager is not used, else pve-cluster will not start

aptitude purge network-manager To get a modern browser, Google Chrome is a good idea - download the 64-bit *.deb from Google, also install sun-java6-plugin.

Now. i have access from user "root" on SSH and Web Gui, but not from Debian Desktop at login. I got autentication failure, with "userr "root" and password. Whi?
Thi is because i have installed Proxmox from Bare-Metal, and not from Debian Squeeze? can i create a user? Thank you for interesting, and iìm very Happy for your work in Proxmox Ve.:cool:

Hi, i have installed Proxmox 2.0 from Bare-Metal Cd, from iso. After i have installed from guide
Optional: Developer Workstations with Proxmox VE and X11

Proxmox VE is primarily used as virtualization platform with NO additional software installed. In some case it makes sense to have a full desktop running on Proxmox VE, for example for developers using Proxmox VE as their primary workstation/desktop.
For example, just install gnome desktop:

aptitude install gnome-core gdm3 libcurl3 xdg-utils Make sure network-manager is not used, else pve-cluster will not start

aptitude purge network-manager To get a modern browser, Google Chrome is a good idea - download the 64-bit *.deb from Google, also install sun-java6-plugin.

Now. i have access from user "root" on SSH and Web Gui, but not from Debian Desktop at login. I got autentication failure, with "userr "root" and password. Whi?

this is not enabled by default, gnome default setting. you can enable it (somewhere on the login manager there is a 'configure'). better is to create a new user and use this one for Gnome.

Thi is because i have installed Proxmox from Bare-Metal, and not from Debian Squeeze? can i create a user? Thank you for interesting, and iìm very Happy for your work in Proxmox Ve.:cool:

this is not enabled by default, gnome default setting. you can enable it (somewhere on the login manager there is a 'configure'). better is to create a new user and use this one for Gnome.
SOLVED: Thank you Tom, now work!

code: Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
Last login: Wed Apr 4 11:21:55 2012 from snow64-2.localdomain
root@proxmox0:~# adduser virtual
Adding user `virtual' ...
Adding new group `virtual' (1000) ...
Adding new user `virtual' (1000) with group `virtual' ...
Creating home directory `/home/virtual' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for virtual
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
Full Name []: duccio mangiavacchi
Room Number []: 64
Work Phone []: 0578755083
Home Phone []: -
Other []: -
Is the information correct? [Y/n] Y
root@proxmox0:~# reboot
At reboot, i have a classic Gnome login-screen. Thank you for interesting, and i'm donating 5 euro at Proxmox Team, for their good, good, work with Proxmox Ve, the "Future of Virtualization"
Best Regards!

Last edited by a moderator:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!