Option "max backups"

seedaumas

Aug 26, 2011
Hi,

This morning I discovered the new option"max backups" in my storage.
What will this option be used?

Thank you and sorry for my bad english.

This is the maximal number of backup files per VM (used by vzdump)
But also this field has dissapeared from backup job definition, so how we can get different number of backus ?
I.E. I have some priority machines that I want to have 7 backups, and some machines that I only want 2 backups.
How can it be performed now ?

My opinion is that Max backups, on an storage definition, should be the maximun number of backups files for that storage. Once this maximun number is achieved, vzdump shoud delete first backup (based on date-time).
An the Max_files_per_vm (as in vzdump.conf) shoul be kept on the backup definition, to be able to give priority to some machine's backup...

Regards

Last edited:
But also this field has dissapeared from backup job definition, so how we can get different number of backus ?
I.E. I have some priority machines that I want to have 7 backups, and some machines that I only want 2 backups.
How can it be performed now ?

The setting is per storage. So you can define the storage 2 times, with different maxfiles settings (Or you simply use a different storage).

The setting is per storage. So you can define the storage 2 times, with different maxfiles settings (Or you simply use a different storage).

Sorry, but I can not see what is the benefit of this change.. Could you explain ?

From some other post, I thought that Max backups (on storage definition) will help to avoid that storage from being filled with backups, so I 'thought' I was the total number of backups per storage (not per vm), and when reached, vzdump should delete the oldest ...

I would prefer to keep number of backups per VM on the backup job definition, not in the storage definition... (or at least use both and vzdump take the larger one..)

Regards

Sorry, but I can not see what is the benefit of this change.. Could you explain ?

From some other post, I thought that Max backups (on storage definition) will help to avoid that storage from being filled with backups, so I 'thought' I was the total number of backups per storage (not per vm), and when reached, vzdump should delete the oldest ...

Sorry, but the system never worked that way.

I would prefer to keep number of backups per VM on the backup job definition, not in the storage definition... (or at least use both and vzdump take the larger one..)

We try to have a setup which works for all users. I guess above suggestion to define another storage works for you too?

As I told you, I would prefer as it was before: Number of backups per VM defined on backup job.

May be some other users can write their opinions....

This could be a big improvement....

Hello,
First of all many thanks to the developers of ProxmoxVE.
I have the same problem. In previous versions it was possible to set the number of backups to keep per VM in the backup settings window.
Actually it is no longer available, and looks like the max-backups setting is per storage.
The problem is that there are VMs that have different backup policies and one only torage is available for backups.

Thank You,
stef

I guess you can use the same storage multiple times for different backup schedules (each has different 'max backups')?

I guess you can use the same storage multiple times for different backup schedules (each has different 'max backups')?

OK,
and where can i set the number of backups to keep regarding that (and only that) specific VM?
Some VMs need to keep one only backup file, while others VMs need to keep at least 2 weeks of daily backups.

I did appreciate the drop-down menu in the Backup-Job edit window:
backup-job-edit.PNG

you need to define two storage definitions - one with maxfiles 1 and one with maxfiles 14.

then, you can define two backup jobs, one using the storage with maxfiles 1 and the other one using the storage with maxfiles 14.

you need to define two storage definitions - one with maxfiles 1 and one with maxfiles 14.

then, you can define two backup jobs, one using the storage with maxfiles 1 and the other one using the storage with maxfiles 14.

OK,
now it is clear, thank you for your quick reply.
Stef

And if we need/like 10 backup schedules, we have to define 10 storages ??

I keep thinking that number of backups should be on backup definitions. I prefer to have ONE storage definition, and as many backups schedules as I need/like.

May be you can explain us what was the pourpose of this change, so we can see the advantages of having number of backups on storage versus having them on backup schedule.

Regards

I keep thinking that number of backups should be on backup definitions. I prefer to have ONE storage definition, and as many backups schedules as I need/like.

May be you can explain us what was the pourpose of this change, so we can see the advantages of having number of backups on storage versus having them on backup schedule.

Regards

In effect, the dropdown "max-files" in the backup-job-setup window was much more suitable.
I agree with vcp_ai.

Bye,
Stefano

a standard setting is just defining a backup storage with maxfiles settings.

and then you configure the schedule. ONLY if you want different maxfiles setting for jobs you need additional storage definitions.

you can also search the forum for the reasons of this change.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I have to agree with vcp_ai

Storage definition has nothing to do logically with how a backup job should operate regarding number of files kept. We have clients who use backups with different frequencies AND differing number of backups kept. The current system is unintuitive at best...

I suppose I can create a storage for every client, but it will complicate a lot of things.

Last edited:
Reactions: chaosad
i find also the 'old' way to define the max backups on the backup job was much more suitable and much more flexible as now;
when you needed to change that for specific vm's it was fairly easy and logical - currently it's really inconvenient;

defining the same storage multiple times only for the number of backups makes no sense to me

Last edited:
Indeed. I find this quite frustrating too. And it also seems that Proxmox guys find it difficult to accept the flaw in their design and are just shrugging it off like their change improved something(to the contrary).

Having said that, I love Proxmox - and having the option to use it for free leaves me with no room to complain!

Reactions: elBradford
a standard setting is just defining a backup storage with maxfiles settings.

and then you configure the schedule. ONLY if you want different maxfiles setting for jobs you need additional storage definitions.

you can also search the forum for the reasons of this change.

Hello Tom, I am very pleased greet you

Thinking about this...., If i need do manual backups regularly and need that these backups not interfere with the program of scheduled backups and his max files, then i will need to add additional storage definitions for each time... mmmmm. and after i will need to remove the additional storage definition for each time.... mmmmm.....:)

I love PVE, but the current strategy I do not think it's the best.

If can you change this structure, please only think about it:
1- Where is appropriate to have the backups Policy of maximums files to keep?, and
2- which will give me less work?

Possible answers:
Option A:
On the definitions of Storages, or
Option B: On the definitions of Backups schedulers

In my opinion, also for Bandwith (if it had) and max files would be great have both options into the scheduled backups

In any case, i always think that PVE is Wonderful!!!

Best regards
Cesar

Indeed. I find this quite frustrating too. And it also seems that Proxmox guys find it difficult to accept the flaw in their design and are just shrugging it off like their change improved something(to the contrary).

Having said that, I love Proxmox - and having the option to use it for free leaves me with no room to complain!

Well, it's not complaining to point out a very obvious flaw in their design, it should be regarded as valuable feedback from the community. Even the best teams can make bad design decisions, and it's the role of the users to point those out.

Unfortunately, the Proxmox developers often seem like they don't use their own product (apart from functionality and bug testing). Because if they did, they would know how big an inconvenience is having to set up different backup storages for dozens of VMs, just because you want to specify different max backups number for your clients. Not to mention every new storage requires creating a different backup job, creating a big mess of possibly conflicting schedules.

It's unintuituive, inconvenient and a huge step backwards compared to PVE 1.x.

My suggestion:
backup file retention should be a property of the backup job (and not a property of storage). If you wanted, you could set a different backup file retention number for every VM in the same schedule, or you could just use a global number, if you don't need this granular.

Let me illustrate how! (click on image below)

proxmox-maxbackups.png

What do you guys think?
(Maybe the more/less using text links is not the best idea, but you get the point.)

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!