OpenVZ slow network speed

rubylaser

Renowned Member
Nov 11, 2009
I can get great disk I/O in an OpenVZ container vs a KVM virtual machine, but the networking is MUCH slower. About 1MB/s for OpenVZ vs 9-10MB/s for the KVM virtual machine. Both are Debian Lenny machines with 1GB of RAM on the same Proxmox host. Any ideas?

I tested by creating some dummy files (15MB, 50MB, 100MB, 1GB) on another host on the network and scp'd the files to each VM. I also rsync'd about 3GB of smaller files and got similar throughput that way as well. Maybe there's a more accurate way to test this?

Try to test with dd and netcat (probably your scp got less CPU cycles in OpenVZ than KVM) like this:

Code:
::Destination
nc -l <dest_ip> <some_port> | dd of=<some_path>

::Origin
dd if=./dummy.raw | nc <dest_ip> <dest_port>

Or you can try change the cypher from scp (blowfish works good with big files) and compare them... ;)

[]´s

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!