Openvswitch and the IPSec/GRE Module

Xuxe

Jun 17, 2017
Hi Folks,

I have multiple Proxmox 4 Nodes running but in different datacentres and networks so I couldn’t make use of the Proxmox cluster features so far, I understand the Proxmox documentation.

My idea was now the following: I connect all machines with the IPSec/GRE feature from the OVS together to let the VMs and Containers connect to each other over multiple Hosts and Datacentres (a Virtual Datacentre).

Now my problem is the Proxmox no-subscription repository does not provide the openvswitch-ipsec package self and the standard Debian package is on version 2.3.0 and the Proxmox package on 2.6 (There is also an Issue open tagged for version 4 but without any progress or update since 2015: https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/show_bug.cgi?id=746 ) . I also checked the Proxmox 5 Beta and it’s the same.

Is there any chance to get the package into the repository of Proxmox 5?

I don’t want to mix up many repository’s or build OVS for myself because from reading the forums about different OVS topics I read the Proxmox packages for OVS are special packages with changes?

Maybe it could be also a feature for the Webinterface to have a thing like a Distributed Switch? :)

Kind regards,
Xuxe

Hi,

PVE 5 is in Beta state so no-subscription does not exists. Use pvetest instead.

But be aware corosysnc is very sensible on latency. So if you have more then 2ms you will loss cluster quorum.

Good Morning,

But be aware corosysnc is very sensible on latency. So if you have more then 2ms you will loss cluster quorum.

I don't want to use HA this way because of latency, i just want to connect the VMs and Containers on each host.

PVE 5 is in Beta state so no-subscription does not exists. Use pvetest instead.

Sorry to be in unclear in case of PVE 5 i mean the pvetest repository, the openvswitch-ipsec Package is also missing in pvetest.

With PVE5/Debian9 it is the same issue, pve provides the 2.7 version of openvswitch-switch in pvetest and Debian the 2.6. So we could not use the openvswitch-ipsec Package from the Debian repository.

We never build the openvswitch-ipsec Package.
You have to build it your self when you need the current version
or open a feature request on bugzilla.

https://bugzilla.proxmox.com/

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!