OpenVPN on Proxmox 5 Beta 1 inside LXC

MajorD

Renowned Member
Apr 27, 2014
Proxmox 5 Beta 1 up-to-date.
All Proxmox firewalls off (Datacenter, host and container).
TUN interface configured on openVPN container.
Port forward from internet router UDP port 1194 to internal ip of openVPN container.
Port forward from internet router UDP or TCP port 443 to internal ip of openVPN container (On or Off, no change in results below).
Port forward from internet router TCP port 2222 to internal ip of an internal DD-WRT router.
Android 7.1.1 phone and openVPN app using a properly configured ovpn file.

I have two scenario:

1. a: On connecting with phone to the openVPN container using external WAN IP on port 1194 UDP:
Fails with bad authentication.

2. a: Connect with phone from outside the LAN using SSH to DD-WRT then ssh into the openVPN container once then disconnecting from SSH.
2: b: On connecting with phone to the openVPN container using external WAN IP on port 1194 UDP:
Connection works.

Connectivity was working correctly with Proxmox 4.2 without having to use SSH login to the container first.

Could anyone shed any light into what may be happening?

Thanks.

Update:

This may not be a Proxmox issue but I would appreciate any idea on how to troubleshoot.

I have tried using two separate Android devices.

Doing scenario 2 with device 1 allows the openVPN connection with that device only. Device 2 does not have access.

I connected with device 1, then with device 2: device 2 could not connect to the openvpn container.
I connected with device 1, disconnected, then with device 2: device 2 could not connect to the openvpn container. (test case for only one device allowed at a time)

Openvpn logs (verbose 6) only show log entries after device 1 ssh connection, for device 1 only.

So there appear to be something changed on the android device 1 after the ssh connection first that allows it to connect. I did a restart of device 1 and it was still able to connect so the change may be time sensitive.

I hope this helps. Still looking for ideas.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!