Open vSwitch VLAN must be done with Managed/Smartswitch?

wahmed

Famous Member
Oct 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
www.symmcom.com
Trying to configure openvswitch in Proxmox for the first time. Initial setup seems to work great. Configured 2 proxmox hosts and few VMs with 2 VLANS.
But it only seems to work if I configure the VLAN tags on the Smartswitch also. If i untag all with default vlan 1, communication between hosts seems to stop. Did i misunderstood that open vswitch has the ability to be fully managed while not needing to touch the physical switch at all for VLAN configuration? Is the switch stripping tags from traffic originating from Host/VM?
Should i use a completely dumb switch instead?

I don't understand how openvswitch would negate the need for tags to be passed through the switch in the correct manner.

OpenvSwitch should be connected to a trunk port on a physical managed switch. When you set up a VM with a NIC connected to your OpenvSwitch bridge you must specifiy a VLAN tag. A trunk port on a switch expects to received tagged packets only unless you have a default VLAN set in which case, any untagged packets that it receives will be passed onto the default VLAN.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!