Open vSwitch just not working!

tomstephens89

Renowned Member
Mar 10, 2014
Kingsclere, United Kingdom
Hi guys,

I am having trouble getting Open vSwitch working. I want to use it since the final environment consists of many VLANS which are subject to change, so Open vSwitch would make this much easier.

I have a proxmox installation on a small test network. At first I had the box working fine using a bond of eth0+1 via the standard linux networking model. So I tried breaking down that and using open vswitch instead. I read the proxmox guide, even copied their example confg and changed it, but I just cannot get it to work.

So for testings sake, I have gone back to a single port trunk on the cisco switch and am just trying to get Open vSwitch working with eth0 as my physical port, a single bridge and an internal port for host connectivity.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces config, can anyone point out what I am doing wrong?

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
allow-ovs vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth0 vlan10

allow-vmbr0 vlan10
iface vlan10 inet static
ovs_type OVSIntPort
ovs_bridge vmbr0
ovs_options tag=10
ovs_extra set interface ${IFACE} external-ids:iface-id=$(hostname -s)-${IFACE}-vif
address 172.16.1.199
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 172.16.1.254

I have just tried via the gui as well (which I find strange since obviously the ports need to be in use by the linux networking stack for you to get to the GUI). I then deleted out the linux bridge and created an OVS bridge then OVSIntPort. Rebooted to commit the changes and its broken again. No network connectivity. My linux bridge entries were still in /etc/network/interfaces as well? So I deleted them and restarted, but still nothing. Just network unreachable.

Is open vSwich broken in Proxmox? Or is the implementation of it in proxmox just terrible? Or am I doing something wrong?

You use the wrong version (from debian repository). We provide newer and improved packages.

i installed proxmox-ve: 4.0-16 (running kernel: 4.2.2-1-pve) and have same problem , # dpkg -l openvswitch-switch output is :
||/ Name Version Architecture Description
+++-=============================-===================-===================-===============================================================
ii openvswitch-switch 2.3.2-1 amd64 Open vSwitch switch implementations

and /etc/network/interfaces is:

# network interface settings; autogenerated
# Please do NOT modify this file directly, unless you know what
# you're doing.
#
# If you want to manage part of the network configuration manually,
# please utilize the 'source' or 'source-directory' directives to do
# so.
# PVE will preserve these directives, but will NOT its network
# configuration from sourced files, so do not attempt to move any of
# the PVE managed interfaces into external files!

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

allow-vmbr1 eth1
iface eth1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr1

allow-vmbr2 eth2
iface eth2 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr2

allow-vmbr3 eth3
iface eth3 inet manual
ovs_type OVSPort
ovs_bridge vmbr3

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 172.16.0.170
netmask 255.255.254.0
gateway 172.16.0.2
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth1

auto vmbr2
iface vmbr2 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth2

auto vmbr3
iface vmbr3 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge
ovs_ports eth3

auto vmbr99
iface vmbr99 inet manual
ovs_type OVSBridge

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!