Only boot if go via BIOS settings (but not change anything)

willbob8

Jul 26, 2021
Hi,
New to proxmox and trying to run VE on an old Dell Inspiron tower.

Having basically spent 3 days turning the machine off and on again I've finally been able to get proxmox to boot.

It will only boot after I've gone into the BIOS settings and pressed 'save and reset'. I dont have to change any settings, but after exiting it will restart and boot perfectly.
Then as soon as I turn it off, and then back on; i get a failed boot (black screen). Doesn't matter if I use legacy or UEFI boot, but it wont work.

I've tried resetting the CMOS by removing the battery for 5mins (and changing it); but get the same problem.

I imagine this is some sort of computer problem rather than proxmox itself, but I just dont have a clue how to fix it!

Any ideas, and thank you in advance?!

hi,

are you able to complete the installation? or is it already failing to boot the USB stick with the ISO?

to rule out some issues you can try doing a BIOS update on your server

Yes able to complete installation; and it works fine when it does boot; I just cant get it to boot automatically
* is the boot order in the BIOS correct?
* when you did the installation was it UEFI or legacy? this determines how the bootloader is setup for the consequent boots
I've made the usb update drive, but am unable to boot to that drive.
does it show up in the splash screen when you hit F12 during boot?

i'd first try to get the BIOS updated since you might waste time otherwise with non-working BIOS

* is the boot order in the BIOS correct?
Boot order is correct; if i go into the bios settings and press save and exit, it works fine; then if i restart the server (without touching the bios) it doesnt work

* when you did the installation was it UEFI or legacy? this determines how the bootloader is setup for the consequent boots
I believe it was UEFI - but I have had success booting in both UEFI and legacy since installing

does it show up in the splash screen when you hit F12 during boot?
yes shows up there; then when i click on it; it will just boot into proxmox from the hdd
If I change boot order to usb and unplug the hdd, it comes up with an error saying 'missing operating system'

yes shows up there; then when i click on it; it will just boot into proxmox from the hdd
If I change boot order to usb and unplug the hdd, it comes up with an error saying 'missing operating system'
according to the instructions from the dell link, you should select "BIOS Flash Update" on the splash screen after preparing and inserting the USB drive. does that option show up?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!