santaaaron

Mar 28, 2021
Not sure if anyone has done this already (because I haven't looked) but here is a one-liner I use after I install Proxmox on my servers.

It does 4 things.
1) places pve-no-subscription in the /etc/apt/sources.list file
2) comments out the pve-enterprise.list
3) apt update && apt dist-upgrade
4) reboots

Here you go. If anyone has anything better or can add to this, I am always open to improvement!

sed -i '1ideb http://download.proxmox.com/debian buster pve-no-subscription' /etc/apt/sources.list && sed -i 's/^deb/#deb/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list && apt update && apt dist-upgrade -y && reboot

credit to ph0x for helping with
sed -i 's/^deb/#deb/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list

Last edited:
Okay nice, sort of. Why do you echo in a file and then move that file?
How about echoing to the list file directly or sed -i 's/^deb/#deb/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list?
And remember, if you want to use bonded NICs you need the package ifenslave which gets removed upon installation of ifupdown2.

Reactions: santaaaron
Okay nice, sort of. Why do you echo in a file and then move that file?
How about echoing to the list file directly or sed -i 's/^deb/#deb/g' /etc/apt/sources.list.d/pve-enterprise.list?
And remember, if you want to use bonded NICs you need the package ifenslave which gets removed upon installation of ifupdown2.
Ha... you know I did this a while ago and I am not sure why I wrote it that way... Probably because I am a little green and it was a quick and dirty way to get it done without too much time researching. Thanks for the suggestion. Looking back on it I may remove ifupdown2 altogether as I don't think it helps anything for OVS... and ifenslave is needed for linux bonds ??? Seems a little silly to me. Thanks again.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!