One-line fix for pve-kernel to support 32-bit EFI booting

Good evening,

A very quick feature request for the Proxmox devs.

I am trying to get Proxmox 3.x working on some Apple Xserve (late 2006) servers which meet all of the Proxmox hardware requirements but they do not support booting via BIOS or 64-bit EFI.

This particular model of Xserve only supports 32-bit EFI booting but will happily boot a 64-bit Debian Wheezy kernel using grub-efi-ia32:

root@test:/# uname -a
Linux test 3.2.0-4-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 3.2.60-1+deb7u3 x86_64 GNU/Linux

My problem is that the Proxmox pve-kernel package states that it does not support booting using grub-efi-ia32:

Preparing to replace pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve 2.6.32-114 (using .../pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve_2.6.32-114_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve:
pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve depends on grub-pc | grub-efi-amd64; however:
Package grub-pc is not installed.
Package grub-efi-amd64 is not installed.

dpkg: error processing pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Errors were encountered while processing:
pve-kernel-2.6.32-26-pve

Would it be possible to add 'grub-efi-ia32' as a grub-like dependency alongside 'grub-pc | grub-efi-amd64' in the next release of the pve-kernel package - e.g. make it 'grub-pc | grub-efi-amd64 | grub-efi-ia32' instead ?

Thanks for your attention!

Regards,
Terry

Hi there
I know it's been a long time than thsi thread, but will you please give a hand to add efi-32 support to a working proxmox? Thanks.
I had the same issue by installing gentoo on my mac, but I could boot by adding BOOTIA32.EFI to EFI directory, now my plan was to reinstall grub on the EFI64 machine and this time add grub_platforms=x64,i386 ... but I can't do it.
Would you please help? Thanks. :)

Hi there
I know it's been a long time than thsi thread, but will you please give a hand to add efi-32 support to a working proxmox? Thanks.
I had the same issue by installing gentoo on my mac, but I could boot by adding BOOTIA32.EFI to EFI directory, now my plan was to reinstall grub on the EFI64 machine and this time add grub_platforms=x64,i386 ... but I can't do it.
Would you please help? Thanks. :)
maybe this will help?
apt-get install grub-efi-ia32-bin

Now It can boot until initramfs loads, and get black, and stop there.
I think the kernel should compile again, but how and what's needed, is it like Debian kernel compile?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!