Old opteron 939

mgiammarco

Renowned Member
Feb 18, 2010
Hello,
I have an opteron 939 based system with 16gb ecc ram. This system can do a lot of things but it has no VT extensions.
I know that KVM needs them but I know also that KVM has a "fall back" mode where it calls QEMU that does not need virtualization extensions.

Can you support qemu in proxmox ve?

Thanks,
Mario

Hello,
I have an opteron 939 based system with 16gb ecc ram. This system can do a lot of things but it has no VT extensions.
I know that KVM needs them but I know also that KVM has a "fall back" mode where it calls QEMU that does not need virtualization extensions.

Can you support qemu in proxmox ve?

Thanks,
Mario

I have been using 2 systems both running dual opteron 248 (940) @2.0Ghz 8GB ECC ram 200GB hdd. for a wile.(pve 1.4 I think)
and the answer is Yes and NO. and only is known to work for PVE 1.x

YES: you can manually create VM's using the command line. once created it can be controlled via that webUI... with a few hiccups like not being able to reboot, only start and stop. and one or two others that I cant remember. I have installed and tested a lot of distros and sometimes converted to openvz.

NO: without having KVM support its going to tank your system... running one windows VM by itself no other VM's/CT's it feels like its running on a 500Mhz box, and windows (or any other OS) will have issues with lag.

to sum-up, its not practical to use for production, but nice for testing.

here's my old thread http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/2421-Qemu-without-KVM

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!