Offline backup single node

timonoj

Apr 19, 2017
Hi guys,

I'm using Proxmox at home as homelab server. I now bought a new SSD and want to migrate the installation to this new SSD. But I don't have an USB adapter, so I'd need to do an offline backup and restore to the new drive. How should I go about this? My setup is a single physical server handling a single proxmox node, that has currently 4 VMs. Proxmox system is installed to a single LVM partition. The VMs are using either iSCSI or NFS storage to a NAS.

Thanks a lot!

I would advise to backup all the VMs to your NFS storage, and swap the disks, and reinstall Proxmox on the SSD, then restore the VM from backups. It is possible to move a PVE installation or any Linux installation from a disk to another but it's quite an advanced topic on goes beyond from a quick forum answer.

Please note the storage using the VMs are where the IO bottleneck usually is, so if your NAS does not have SSDs I would start from there.

Hi Manu,

Thank you for your response. So you wouldn't recommend to try and copy then expand the LVM partition to the new disk? I'd prefer if there was an easy way to keep all configurations and options (ie, NFS mountpoints etc) transferred in one shot to the new drive...

you'll be much faster readding your mount points and restoring your backup that manually copying stuff to the new disk and configuring your system to boot from the new disk with all the partitioning properly done :)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!