Odd failure when restoring a backup to an LVM on block storage?

dswartz

Dec 13, 2010
I have a number of VMs with raw disk files on an NFS datastore. I created drbd mirror to other host in proxmox cluster. Put LVM on top of that with shared set to true. This way, as I understand it, each vm disk is an LVM. Anyway, all but two restored just fine (e.g. I did backup from NFS raw disk => NFS backup, then restore => LVM/drbd). Two of the restores failed at the very start with an assertion error because the raw disk images were apparently not a multiple of some expected size. I don't remember the exact error (I was unable to get a screenshot at the time.) I have no idea how the files got grown that way - possibly from when I migrated them from xen? Anyway, my 'fix' was to use qemu-img to grow each disk to the next GB multiple, repeat the backup/restore steps and all was well. Definitely scary, and seems like a bug to me - even if the rawfile is not a multiple of X bytes, you can certainly round it up before writing to the LVM?

Both servers are fully up to date, but I think the failure occurred before that. I will try restoring from a previous copy of the raw file and see...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!