Note on CIFS mount

MikeP

Feb 14, 2016
So I put up a brand new PVE 4.4 and wanted to mount a CIFS/SMB share off of a Windows server.

I made this note to do this from the last PVE:

#mkdir /mnt/sambaspot
#echo “//sambaspot.localsystem.local/misc2/vm-images /mnt/sambaspot cifs username=sambaspot,password=P@ssw0rd 0 0” >> /etc/fstab
#mount -a

Then, I got the dreaded:
mount error: cifs filesystem not supported by the system
mount error(19): No such device

I looked everywhere and could not figure it out. I installed a few extra packages that I probably didn't need.
Then I took a thought from Windows and "shutdown -r now".

#mount -a
#
It worked.

Note, https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model I believe used to have the instructions above for mounting CIFS.
Note2, I made a series of "echo" and "printf" statements to add/replace text in files and do other nifty things rather than some manual editing.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!