Not receiving email

arcicstagmedia

Oct 28, 2020
Hi There,

This is my first time setting up and mail gateway and server so this might in itself be a very silly question however I can not seem to get this working. I have set up my mail server with iRedMail, I can confirm that this is working as I can send outbound emails from the mail server and they work like a charm. However when I receive emails that are not making it to the mail server. Here is my setup

1. MX record on my DNS service pointing to my server IP
  2. Ports forwarded on my firewall and security gateway to the proxmox mail gateway
    • I can see the emails reaching this gateway
  3. default mail relay set as the IP address of the mail server
  4. relay domains set as the domain I receive mail on
  5. I additionally added a transport for the domain and host to see if that helped
Anny assistance or guidance would be most appreciated

As an update, if I change the port forwards to go directly to the eMail server then I am able to receive the emails.

So should the Proxmox Mail gateway be in parallel to the mail server or should it be in front of the mail server
additionally, I am getting the following error if I set the mail gateway in from then I get a response

Code:
<postmaster@arcticstagmedia.com>: mail for mail.domain.com:25 loops
    back to myself
Reporting-MTA: dns; Prxmox-Mailgateway.domain.com
X-Proxmox-Queue-ID: 75F6F8C76
X-Proxmox-Sender: rfc822; sender@domain.com
Arrival-Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2020 14:52:11 +1100 (AEDT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; postmaster@domain.com
Original-Recipient: rfc822;postmaster@domain.com
Action: failed
Diagnostic-Code: X-Proxmox; mail for mail.domain.com:25 loops back to
    myself

Hello,
Same the problem. I do similar like you, and my mail server didn't get emails. but in dashboard in PMG shows receiver user with count email. If you can solve this problem, share with you methods.

Best wishes Rustam

Hello again,
I could solve this problem, in MS Exchange Server we need to add new receive connector to get email from PMG. After we can get email from PMG, in my case everything is OK.

Good luck

MX record on my DNS service pointing to my server IP
is that the mail-server where iRedMail runs?!
if yes how should PMG then relay mails to it (if port 25 gets forwarded to itself?!)

Check out the deployment chapter of the reference documentation - that should help:
https://pmg.proxmox.com/pmg-docs/pmg-admin-guide.html#chapter_deployment

* set the MX record to point to your PMG's IP
* set the relay in PMG to your iRedMail's IP (or hostname)

I hope this helps!

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!