Not Able to Install CDROM with KVM...Error Message

Danielc1234

Jan 10, 2010
For some reason when I try to install a OS from the CDROM in a KVM, I keep getting errors, even though I know the cd is good and the cdrom is good.
The error I get is

'The file parted-1.8.1-23.el5x86_64.rpm cannot be opened. This is due to a missing file, a corrupt package or corrupt media. Please verify your installation source.'

I have installed this CDROM of Centos 5 on the machine itself and works fine, but when I try within Proxmox, I get the above error.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

could be a faulty hardware or cdrom.
check the latest bios for your server, run a memory diagnostic check.

also post you vm config file (see /etc/qemu-server/VMID.conf).

Tom..how can I run an iso from within a KVM after I have created it so I wont need to boot to the CDROM? It will allow me in the OpenVZ to run the iso just fine.

Thanks Udo...It is not allowing me to upload a DVD size iso in the Proxmox iso section. What if I am wanting to install Centos 5? I have a DVD iso and 7 of the regular size disks iso's? Can you install multiple iso's?

Thanks Udo...It is not allowing me to upload a DVD size iso in the Proxmox iso section. What if I am wanting to install Centos 5? I have a DVD iso and 7 of the regular size disks iso's? Can you install multiple iso's?

Hi,
you can upload multible disks, but must change the disk during the installation.
It's much easier to copy the dvd-file with scp. Work's well:
Code:
# ls -lsa /var/lib/vz/template/iso/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso 
4515596 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4619442176 11. Feb 12:11 /var/lib/vz/template/iso/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso

Udo

Have you tried that with the DVD?

Code:
dd if=/dev/cdrom of=/var/lib/vz/template/iso/centos5-x86_64.iso

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!