Noob question on Storage

Nbecker65

Aug 13, 2018
Hi all,

New to Proxmox & LVM really and had a question about storage methodology and wanted to see from the gurus of this made sense. I have a 120 GB SSD and a 3TB HDD. I installed Proxmox on the 120 SSD and what to do is add the 3TB to where I can add data to it and point an Emby Turnkey server there for some media as well as store some VMs on the 3 TB. Would I add the 3TB as a separate LVM on the server then create and volume group or a new directory tree like ext 3 or XFS?

Ok so I have created physical volume for my large 3TB drive and created a volume group called data storage.
Code:
vgcreate Data-Storage /dev/sda1

I then created logic volume called media.
Code:
lvcreate -L 2000G -T -n Media Data-Storage
mkfs.ext3 /dev/Data-Storage/Media
mkdir /mnt/Media
echo '/dev/Data-Storage/Media /mnt/Media ext3 defaults 0 2' >> /etc/fstab
mount -a
pct set 100 -mp1 /mnt/Media,mp=/mnt/Media

But this doesn't seem to work I get issues where the container doesn't open up.

Reactions: Nbecker65
Ok so I created the volume group Data-Storage and the logic volume Media then i converted it to thin-pool. How and where do I add the new volume to the container? Also does this mean my Samba share built in to the media appliance turnkey server will in this new volume? Thanks for the help.

Normaly over the webinterface. Click to resources --> Add Mountpoint and create your new volume.

Does this look right? What do I put down for the path?
upload_2018-8-20_19-10-57.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-8-20_19-10-24.png
    upload_2018-8-20_19-10-24.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 3
Yes right. Path is the mountpoint for the new volume in you container. If you click on the "HELP" button, everything is described.

Reactions: Nbecker65

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!