Node storage on two nodes cluster has the same names

mbj047

Jul 13, 2020
Hi,
Recently joined two nodes together into a cluster in 6.2. Storage on both nodes had the same name ie. store1, store2, and store3. There doesn't seem to be any negative effects except I can't seem to set them to different pools or permissions. I set permissions on one drive on one node it copies to the other node. Should I fix this? I assume it should be done in the console.

Thanks

I had nothing to lose and tried removing the storage which removed it from both nodes. (Didn't see that coming) But I was able to re-add it with different permissions on each storage which separated them. Problem solved easily through the gui. Still wondering if there is an issue with having them the same name. The local and local-lvm is the same on both does that cause issues?
Partially resolved.

just fyi: a storage is defined cluster-wide and if the underlying storage is similar (e.g. a zpool with the same name) there is nothing wrong with having it defined only once for the cluster

Thanks, in my situation there is 5 separate servers with almost the exact size and number of disks in each server. I gave each disk the name store1, store2, so on in every server. No raid or zfs as they are just test servers. We have a lot of users and I was trying resource isolation per user which I know is not supported but I wanted to isolation storage which I can't seem to do per drive if they are all named the same, privileges seem to apply to the name. It was easy enough to fix by removing the drives and giving them a new name in the the gui for all except the local-lvm directory which the gui wouldn't let me remove but I'm not worried about that so much as there is no vm storage on there just *.iso.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!