No QCOW2 on ZFS?

drdownload

Sep 7, 2017
If I store an VM Image on an ZFS storage I only get RAW as option for image format.

I assume it's because ZFS supports thin provisioning.

wolfgang

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Oct 1, 2014
No,
with zfs pool plugin you use zvols what is the bock device emulation.
So you have a raw device in qemu.

wolfgang

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Oct 1, 2014
If you want QCOW2 you need to add the storage as "Folder".
Never do this because qcow is cow and zfs also.
A cow fs on a cow fs will kill the performance and bring no benefit or features.

Reactions: fireon

Nemesiz

Jan 16, 2009
Lithuania
Maybe someone use qcow2 on zfs because of personal reasons like temporary or migration between different storage formats.

tom

Proxmox Staff Member
Staff member
Aug 29, 2006
Maybe someone use qcow2 on zfs because of personal reasons like temporary or migration between different storage formats.
As long as you ZFS as a directory storage, then you can store any file, also qcow2 files. But this is NOT recommended, see above.

LnxBil

Famous Member
Feb 21, 2015
Germany
bring no benefit or features.
Oh yes it does have benefits! Yes, plural!
* you can jump in between snapshots without cloning
* create snapshot trees
Both is unavailable in ZFS, so using cow2 on a zfs-based directory (if you only have ZFS available) is the only way to achieve this.

I use it quite often and never experienced any bottlenecks, yet I know that COW-on-COW has its drawbacks, but the benefits outweigh the drawbacks in my case.

drdownload

Sep 7, 2017
I never thought about drawbacks of cow on cow to be honest. Thanks for the clearification!.

Since I only use proxmox with my homelab (at work we use VMware) I maybe switch to ext4 for my proxmox drives.

fireon

Famous Member
Oct 25, 2010
Austria/Graz
iteas.at
maybe switch to ext4 for my proxmox drives.
Yes, do that :) Storage is depending on features that you need for. For Migrations, copy and testing qcow2 on ext4 is the easiest way.

But for all other things in productive environments with no HW-Raid ZFS or Ceph are real the best :)
With HW-Raid use LVM-Thin.

fcymk2

Sep 7, 2019
Never do this because qcow is cow and zfs also.
A cow fs on a cow fs will kill the performance and bring no benefit or features.
If use directory and raw format? Are there any disadvantages to this?

Sometimes need to copy the disk to another machine.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE and Proxmox Mail Gateway. We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get your own in 60 seconds.

Buy now!