No network on VM Guest

geeks809

May 1, 2015
Hello, i just finishing install pve 3.4 and im facing an issue:

My ubuntu guest just can ping the host ip. I have already a Bridge configured. The host can ping the entire network and internet.

root@proxmox:~# pveversion -vproxmox-ve-2.6.32: 3.3-147 (running kernel: 2.6.32-37-pve)
pve-manager: 3.4-1 (running version: 3.4-1/3f2d890e)
pve-kernel-2.6.32-37-pve: 2.6.32-147
lvm2: 2.02.98-pve4
clvm: 2.02.98-pve4
corosync-pve: 1.4.7-1
openais-pve: 1.1.4-3
libqb0: 0.11.1-2
redhat-cluster-pve: 3.2.0-2
resource-agents-pve: 3.9.2-4
fence-agents-pve: 4.0.10-2
pve-cluster: 3.0-16
qemu-server: 3.3-20
pve-firmware: 1.1-3
libpve-common-perl: 3.0-24
libpve-access-control: 3.0-16
libpve-storage-perl: 3.0-31
pve-libspice-server1: 0.12.4-3
vncterm: 1.1-8
vzctl: 4.0-1pve6
vzprocps: 2.0.11-2
vzquota: 3.1-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 2.1-12
ksm-control-daemon: 1.1-1
glusterfs-client: 3.5.2-1
root@proxmox:~#

*** Linux Guest:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If i put a manual IP in the guest, then i can ping the Host.

NOTE: The host also can communicate with the Guest

What's in your /etc/network/interfaces on the host? And what bridge is the guest connected to?

*** Linux Guest:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

If i put a manual IP in the guest, then i can ping the Host.

NOTE: The host also can communicate with the Guest

Since you can manually configure the network, and you are set to dhcp in the guest, do you have a dhcp server running on the network? That would be my first place to look, and if no dhcp server is running on the network, set one up.

root@proxmox:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces
# network interface settings
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.23
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.11
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

root@proxmox:~#

I have a DHCP server in production. Many PCs connected to it and so.

Try changing the config that is directly on the interface, so your network/interfaces would be:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.0.23
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 192.168.0.11
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

I assume the VM is connected to vmbr0. Usually you'd just use the bridge and associate an IP with the bridge (if necessary) not the interface directly. I'm not sure if this will clear up your issue, but considering your config (to me) is a bit odd, it couldn't hurt to get yourself into a standard config for Proxmox and go from there.

@nethfe i think this wouldn't help me. The thing is that i want to make my Guest VM to go directly to my physical network and get a IP from my DHCP server in production and also go out to Internet and access to all the others physical resources in my LAN; not only share resources with the HOST.

I already tried with others VM with Ubuntu FULL Desktop and Windows XP and the same scenario.

You don't understand - VMBR0 is already bridged to eth0, you are just connecting the VM to VMBR0. You don't connect the VMs to the local ethernets directly, you do it through the bridges. The VM will not take on the IP of VMBR0, it will still have its own IP address.

If it makes it easier for you - think of the VMBR's as pseudo managed switches, just because the switch has an IP, it doesn't mean that all machines connected to said switch shares that one IP. The IP on the VMBR is only, in this case, to manage proxmox itself.

I was testing PVE into a ESXi Host. I don't know why but after Install PVE into a Physical CPU all works fine.

Reactions: tuathan
might have been a problem passing through the network depending on how you were virtualizing, something on the ESXi host may not have been active to make it work correctly... Glad you got it working.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!