No Network Connectivity on Fresh Install of Proxmox 3.0

badams

Jun 7, 2013
Hi all,
Previously a user of VMWare products, I wanted to give Proxmox a try in hopes of moving my server environment over to it instead.
I successfully installed the latest version of Proxmox 3.0 today, but have no success in getting any network connectivity.

I've assigned a static ip during the installation process of 111.222.249.15
I cannot ping a computer on the same network with the address 111.222.249.23 from within the console of Proxmox.
From the computer 111.222.249.23 I cannot ping the Proxmox machine (111.222.249.15).
I can ping the loopback from the Proxmox console (127.0.0.1) as well as itself (111.222.249.15).

I've made no changes at all to /etc/network/interfaces so its just the default from Proxmox which looks like this:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
    address 111.222.249.15
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 111.222.249.1
    bridge_ports eth0
    bridge_stp off
    bridge_fd 0

I also did dmesg | grep "Network driver" and it shows the network driver loaded, but I dont have the exact output as I'm not longer at the same location as the server. I will post the output of that tomorrow when I have access to the server again.

Any insight before then would be greatly appreciated though!

Also check if the cable is pugged into the correct port (some MB has 2 network cards).

deitmar, thanks for your suggestion. The cable is plugged in correctly, with only a single ethernet port. I have also tried a different cable, as well as plugged the cable into a known working PC and network connectivity was fine. I've eliminated any possible switch configuration/cable issues and know for sure the issue has to lie at the Proxmox machine

dea said:
Install ethtool (apt-get install ethtool) and verify ethX status.

dea, I think your misunderstanding the issue... does aptitude not require an internet connection? I dont have network connectivity (and therefore no internet) to use aptitude.

Last edited:
deitmar, thanks for your suggestion. The cable is plugged in correctly, with only a single ethernet port. I have also tried a different cable, as well as plugged the cable into a known working PC and network connectivity was fine. I've eliminated any possible switch configuration/cable issues and know for sure the issue has to lie at the Proxmox machine

dea, I think your misunderstanding the issue... does aptitude not require an internet connection? I dont have network connectivity (and therefore no internet) to use aptitude.[/COLOR]

Sorry, download .deb from another PC and install it by dpkg.
Ifconfig output ?

Can you ping the gateway?

Here's my network/interfaces, for reference:

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback
iface eth0 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 192.168.1.50
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 192.168.1.255
gateway 192.168.1.57
bridge_ports eth0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd 0

Not quite sure if the missing eth0 entry in your case is causing any issues, but it's worth a try.

Here is the output of ifconfig. Sorry about the image, but without SSH or any network access, I didnt want to type it all out.
ifconfig.jpg

If I do dmesg | grep "Ethernet" then it outputs:

Code:
r8169 Gigabit Ethernet driver 2.3LK-NAPI loaded

I also added "iface eth0 inet manual" to interfaces, with no change.

lspci output:
Code:
Realtek Semiconductor, RTL8111/8168 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

UPDATE:
Further research shows that this is not going to be a proxmox issue, but looks like an issue with the r8169 driver.
Will keep looking for a solution, but if anyone has any input even though its no longer a Proxmox issue, it would be very greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Still fighting with this. Now I'm not sure if this is Proxmox or Debian issue.

I still have no connectivity at all.
The ethernet card is using the r8169 driver.

I tried formatting and installing Proxmox 2.3 just to see, and same issue. No connectivity at all.

I tried running Ubuntu 11.10 off a live cd and everything network related worked perfectly with no configuration need.

Really need to get this up and running.... any suggestions??

I have a similar issue with Intel igb and nic with both PVE 3.1 and 3.2 installation. My server is running find - no network issue. But once I installed PVE, the nic link light is off as soon as PVE start booting. dmesg also show eth0 is up with right speed and duplex. But no link light or network connectivity. Anyone has an idea?

I tried formatting and installing Proxmox 2.3 just to see, and same issue. No connectivity at all.

I tried running Ubuntu 11.10 off a live cd and everything network related worked perfectly with no configuration need.

nevermind, I was using a wrong interface (as my box has many network intf's). Just need to make sure in the network persistent rules which one eth0 is. ProxMox seems only enable eth0, because only that phy intf is used for the vmbr0 bridge.

Hi:

I was having the exact, same issue. That NIC worked with other OS's, including Win2012. After several hours looking for an explanation, and trying lots
of configs, I gave up... and put another NIC that I had laying around (it's good to be the tech..;)..) I then replaced eth0 with eth1 in the original interfaces
file, services networking restart, and presto!

gatomontes

Hi:

I was having the exact, same issue. That NIC worked with other OS's, including Win2012. After several hours looking for an explanation, and trying lots
of configs, I gave up... and put another NIC that I had laying around (it's good to be the tech..;)..) I then replaced eth0 with eth1 in the original interfaces
file, services networking restart, and presto!

gatomontes

What does your interfaces file look like? I placed a new NIC and I am still not able to access Proxmox throught the URL or ping my gateway

I too faced the same issue. I changed the eth0 to eth1 in /etc/network/interfaces and it worked for me.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!