No Content Role for Backups When Creating LVM Storage

speedkreature

Sep 12, 2011
Proxmox VE 1.9, upgraded from 1.7.

I want to backup to iSCSI. I followed the guide: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
When creating the LVM storage, there is a field called "Content:". The only option I have is "Virtual Disks". I recall there being another content option to designate this storage as backup/snapshot storage. How do I resolve this problem, or otherwise finish allotting storage for my backups?

Proxmox VE 1.9, upgraded from 1.7.

I want to backup to iSCSI. I followed the guide: http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Storage_Model
When creating the LVM storage, there is a field called "Content:". The only option I have is "Virtual Disks". I recall there being another content option to designate this storage as backup/snapshot storage. How do I resolve this problem, or otherwise finish allotting storage for my backups?
Hi,
you need an real filesystem for the backup-target. You can create an logical volume backup on the VG, format and mount it. But this isn't recommended because you run in trouble if you backup VM-disks from the same VG (due to lvm-snapshot).
If you only use this VG for backup it's ok.

Udo

Thank you for responding Udo.
I'm not sure I understand. Can I get clarification for what is meant by "real filesystem" or perhaps an additional explanation? Perhaps I wasn't clear...
The iSCSI target is mounted (as device /dev/sdc) via the open-iscsi initiator on the Proxmox VE 1.9 host OS (Debian Lenny), and formatted with ext4.

It it is already mounted, add a directory type storage which points to that directory. You can then use that storage as backup destination.

That last part is where I have the problem. I cannot designate any path for backup. The option is not in the dropdown box. I attach the target, format it, mount it, and then go through the steps to add it in the ProxmoxVE web interface, but when I get to the step of designating what the storage will be used for, the only options are Virtual Disks and ISO Images. (The wording may not be exact. I don't have access to that system right now.) I'm guessing there has to be a configuration file somewhere that would normally contain this option so I can select it in the web interface...

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!