NFS vs iscsi

benoitc

Dec 21, 2019
I see a lot of organization using NFS instead of ISCSI for vms and data storage. It's apparently more to ease operations: backup can be done on the vm files and do not require a separate server. Is this true? How much performance you are really losing when using NFS instead of ISCSI?

The only other solution I can see for the backup when suing PBS is using something like veam or PBS. Are there other solutions not too much expensive? What is the current pattern for proxmox users?

If NFS or iSCSI if faster, is something that I cannot say. I guess there are many factors that come into play, not just the protocol.

Regarding backups, PVE can do backups by itself to a storage that has the content type "Backup" set. These backups will always be full backups though. Check out either the command vzdump or the Backup panels in the GUI. On the Datacenter -> Backup level you can create recurring backup jobs. In the backup panel of a specific guest, you can create one off backups.

For smarter and faster backups, there is the new PBS which also works with the same mechanisms, but has its own storage type.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!