NFS: storage is not online (500)

MisterY

Oct 10, 2016
Hi,

I set up a NFS Server on my Openmediavault3 Server, but I can't get a connection from my Proxmox-Server.

/etc/export of the OMV3 Server is:
/export/PoolBackup 192.168.0.0/24(fsid=1,rw,subtree_check,secure,no_root_squash)
/export/Test 192.168.0.0/24(fsid=2,rw,subtree_check,secure,no_root_squash)
# NFSv4 - pseudo filesystem root
/export 192.168.0.0/24(ro,fsid=0,root_squash,no_subtree_check,hide)

Proxmox:
/etc/pve/storage.cfg content:
nfs: NFSTest1
server 192.168.0.108
export /export/PoolBackup/
path /mnt/pve/NFS
options vers=3
maxfiles 5
content vztmpl,images,rootdir,backup

showmount -e 192.168.0.108
clnt_create: RPC: Port mapper failure - Unable to receive: errno 111 (Connection refused)

where is the error?

Last edited:
Are you able to see your NFS exports on the NFS server itself ?

showmount -e localhost

Are you able to see your NFS exports on the NFS server itself ?

showmount -e localhost
Hi,

I am having this exact same error. I have made zero changes to my fileserver and everything worked fine yesterday, but threw the same error mentioned. I have tested everything from another computer and am able to mount the NFS shares. As you requested from OP I received this error when "showmount -e localhost"

root@pve:~# showmount -e localhost
clnt_create: RPC: Program not registered

@moonjazz: this command has to be entered on the fileserver.

@moonjazz: this command has to be entered on the fileserver.

Ah of course, silly mistake. When I run that on my FreeNAS server everything appears to be fine. This "storage is not online (500)" started appearing after the most recent updates to the free repo....

When you get the message "storage is not online in the gui for a NFS server", please execute the following commands ( and post the result here: "everything appears to be fine" is not enough for helping you)

* verifiy you can reproduce the problem from the command line.
Login to your pve host via ssh and enter the following command:

pvesm status

if the storage is down, you should see the command hangs, it will timeout after sometime

* if the above command hangs time to check your network connectivity

ping my_nfs_server

* if the ping command is successfull, verifiy that the ports from the NFS server are open. Proxmox uses nfsv3 by defaults wihich uses
TCP. you need to check for the ports 111 and 2049. Install the nmap port scanner and enter

nmap -p 111,2049 my_nfs_server

This is how it looks on my server:

Code:
Starting Nmap 6.47 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2017-02-28 09:33 CET
Nmap scan report for ibsd.local (192.168.16.24)
Host is up (0.00022s latency).
PORT     STATE SERVICE
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
2049/tcp open  nfs
MAC Address: 32:36:31:39:65:61 (Unknown)

* now if the port scan is successfull, you still need to have defined correcly the NFS exports on the server.
Check what your server has exported to you with the command
showmount -e my_nfs_server

Verifiy from the output of this command that you are in the correct network/ip range where the export is allowed.

Hello,

I've been having a similar problem mounting nfs and iscsi shares from a FreeNAS 9.10 box on both the proxmox host and virtual machines. I've done some troubleshooting and have noticed that the proxmox host can see both the nfs share (using showmount) and the iscsi share (using iscsiadm) if I restart networking via systemctl. However, once I do that none of the VMs have network access any longer.

If I disable the autostart of VMs the host network seems to come up correctly (i.e. I can see both the nfs shares and the iscsi shares) and then manually starting the VMs also allows them to see the nfs and iscsi shares.

I am always able to successfully ping the FreeNAS box from both the host and VMs even when I'm getting the above connection refused error message.

Running the above netstat command returns rpcbind and nfs ports as closed (although they work fine from other hosts on the network)

At this point I'm pretty much stuck in my own troubleshooting procedures. Any additional insight would be much appreciated.

When you get the message "storage is not online in the gui for a NFS server", please execute the following commands ( and post the result here: "everything appears to be fine" is not enough for helping you)

* verifiy you can reproduce the problem from the command line.
Login to your pve host via ssh and enter the following command:

pvesm status

if the storage is down, you should see the command hangs, it will timeout after sometime

* if the above command hangs time to check your network connectivity

ping my_nfs_server

* if the ping command is successfull, verifiy that the ports from the NFS server are open. Proxmox uses nfsv3 by defaults wihich uses
TCP. you need to check for the ports 111 and 2049. Install the nmap port scanner and enter

nmap -p 111,2049 my_nfs_server

I have followed your instructions but still can't mount by NFS. This is how it looks:

Code:
root@VMContainer:~# pvesm status
storage 'BackupStation' is not online
Name                 Type     Status           Total            Used       Available        %
BackupStation         nfs   inactive               0               0               0    0.00%
local                 dir     active        28510260         4088892        22950088   14.34%
local-lvm         lvmthin     active        62562304        25813206        36749097   41.26%
root@VMContainer:~#

Code:
root@VMContainer:~# nmap -p 111,2049 192.168.0.4
Starting Nmap 7.70 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-08-18 13:04 CEST
Nmap scan report for BackupStationPortol.local (192.168.0.4)
Host is up (0.061s latency).

PORT     STATE SERVICE
111/tcp  open  rpcbind
2049/tcp open  nfs
MAC Address: E8:94:F6:09:DA:AB (Tp-link Technologies)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.61 seconds

Code:
root@VMContainer:~# showmount -e 192.168.0.4
rpc mount export: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = No route to host

Firewalls are disabled in Proxmox. Any idea what to do?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!