[SOLVED] NFS Server on Proxmox Host

nhasian

Aug 25, 2016
I'm trying to share a directory on the proxmox server via NFS to other clients on the network and to virtual machine clients on Proxmox.

drive to be shared /dev/sdb1 mounted on /data

in /etc/fstab:
/data /srv/nfs4/data none bind 0 0

in /etc/exports:
/srv/nfs4 192.168.1.0/24(rw,fsid=0,no_subtree_check,sync)
/srv/nfs4/data 192.168.1.0/24(rw,nohide,insecure,no_subtree_check,sync)

#systemctl start nfs-server.service
Failed to start nfs-server.service: Unit nfs-server.service failed to load: No such file or directory.

Client does not show nfs listed as services running on server:

$rpcinfo -p 192.168.1.254 | cut -c30- | sort -u
portmapper
service
status

When attempting to mount from client:

mount -v -t nfs4 192.168.1.254:/ /mnt/data
mount.nfs4: timeout set for Fri Aug 26 14:02:13 2016
mount.nfs4: trying text-based options 'vers=4.2,addr=192.168.1.254,clientaddr=192.168.1.4'
mount.nfs4: mount(2): Connection refused
Job for rpc-statd.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
See "systemctl status rpc-statd.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.

so long story short, I don't know why the nfs-server.service is failing to load. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT: RESOLVED

I had to install the package nfs-kernel-server. Also the correct service to start was not nfs-server.service, it was actually nfs-kernel-server.service

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!