NFS on NAS on 2.0

Discussion in 'Proxmox VE: Installation and configuration' started by elmacus, Feb 9, 2012.

1. elmacus

elmacus Member

Hi.
    Is there possible to use pve2.0 distro as NAS with NFS instead of openfiler/freenas/squezze.
    Its i nice gui and easy install. Do you see any problem with this? Can you setup eveything needed for nfs from gui?
    My thinking is also that the nas can be member of cluster, and backup for some kvm.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

2. knireis

knireis Member

i don't think this will work. proxmox is virtualization software. it is not a sort of operating system. it allows you to run and manage more than 1 operating system on a computer.
    to function properly it needs a lot of memory, most nas devices have not sufficient memory.
    I would suggest to look at www.openmediavault.com if you want to run a operating system with nfs on your nas.

3. dietmar

dietmar Proxmox Staff Member
    Staff Member

Proxmox VE is a full featured operating system. It does not need much memory by default.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. elmacus

elmacus Member

Thanks for input.
    I know proxmox is for virtualization.
    The server i have in mind has alot of memory and disk, so its just matter of finding the best stable solution. And what is more stable than Proxmox ?
    File this under "future features" 3.0 :)

I will try OpenMediaVault instead, looks good on features, and similar webgui. Or i just go to squeeze.

5. elmacus

elmacus Member

The reason why use Proxmox was also for vzdump, its nice to compress the backupfiles directly on the nas for transport to backup-system.
    The Readynas we use today cant compress the raw or qcow2 files.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice