NFS Firewall Woes

RandomK

Jul 12, 2013
TLDR: What ports do I need open on my NFS server for Proxmox nodes to discover and use exports?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Due to some recent changes in our switching setup I've had to enable the firewall on our NFS server (which used to only be physically connected to Proxmox nodes). I've opened the usual ports for NFS, limited things to the appropriate subnet, and tested it all out with some manual mounts. Here's what's open:

2049 (tcp/udp)
111 (tcp/udp)
4045 (tcp/udp)
1110 (tcp/udp)​

While I can write and everything works when mounted manually, when I attempt to add NFS shares via the web GUI I get connection errors and the dropdown list of exports never populates. As soon as I disable iptables on the NFS server the web GUI works fine, the export list populates and VMs run without issue. This would seem to indicate I'm missing a port or two but the Proxmox storage wiki doesn't help. Attempts to solve the problem by using netstat have been unsuccessful due to the large amount of unrelated traffic on both the Proxmox node and the storage server. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi RandomK
You can try to run on your PVE server:

showmount -e ip_my_NFS_server

it usually gives helpfull output

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!