New volume not showing in Proxmox Dashboard

Uuugh

Apr 22, 2020
Hi,
I am lost. I have a new installation of Proxmox 6. My goal is to add a new thin storage area for vm's on separate physical storage from pve. But I can not see the storage/volumes in the Proxmox front end. I have followed every manual and post I could find ...so I am obviously missing something. More than likely I can't figure out how to use the pvesm command. I have looked for it to show in each of the steps I followed from fstab to lvcreate. Here is my process. Please explain (or point me to a good reference) for what I missed. Thanks a bunch!

sgdisk -N 1 /dev/sdb pvs PV VG Fmt Attr PSize PFree /dev/sdb1 vg-taichi lvm2 a-- 238.47g 0 /dev/sdc3 pve lvm2 a-- <57.26g 7.12g reboot pvcreate /dev/sdb1 vgcreate vg-taichi /dev/sdb1 lvcreate -l 100%FREE --thinpool tp-taichi vg-taichi lvcreate -V 250G --thin -n tv-taichi_data vg-taichi/tp-taichi lvs LV VG Attr LSize Pool Origin Data% Meta% Move Log data pve twi-aotz-- 26.76g 3.38 1.63 root pve -wi-ao---- 14.25g swap pve -wi-ao---- 7.12g vm-100-disk-0 pve Vwi-a-tz-- 8.00g data 11.30 tp-taichi vg-taichi twi-aotz-- <238.24g 2.07 11.47 tv-taichi_data vg-taichi Vwi-a-tz-- 250.00g tp-taichi 1.97 mkdir -p /mnt/taichi_data mkfs.ext4 /dev/vg-taichi/tv-taichi_data mount /dev/vg-taichi/tv-taichi_data /mnt/taichi_data nano /etc/fstab /dev/mapper/vg--taichi-tv--taichi_data /mnt/taichi_data ext4 defaults 0 0 mount -av

pvesm add lvm tv-taichi_data ???

Last edited:
mkdir -p /mnt/taichi_data
mkfs.ext4 /dev/vg-taichi/tv-taichi_data
mount /dev/vg-taichi/tv-taichi_data /mnt/taichi_data

nano /etc/fstab
/dev/mapper/vg--taichi-tv--taichi_data /mnt/taichi_data ext4 defaults 0 0
mount -av
These steps seem wrong.

Just create the thin LVM and then if you add it through the GUI in Datacenter -> Storage you can select the present but not configured LVMs that should be added as storage.

PVE will create logical volumes for the guests disks.

These steps seem wrong.

Just create the thin LVM and then if you add it through the GUI in Datacenter -> Storage you can select the present but not configured LVMs that should be added as storage.

PVE will create logical volumes for the guests disks.
I agree with you. That's kind of my problem. At each step in the process I expected to see the volumes in the dashboard (or have the option to create something with them), but the disks/volumes were never available. The dashboard shows sdb, but nothing is in LVM or LVM-Thin.

I just went down my path hoping something would work. I was not expecting to need to mount the Volume either.

Thoughts? Thanks

...Shouldn't this have been enough?
sgdisk -N 1 /dev/sdb reboot pvcreate /dev/sdb1 vgcreate vg-taichi /dev/sdb1

Should I even need to do these through the console?
lvcreate -l 100%FREE --thinpool tp-taichi vg-taichi lvcreate -V 250G --thin -n tv-taichi_data vg-taichi/tp-taichi

So I started over. I installed PVE on a new drive (sdb) and I was able to see the and create VGs on the second drive (sda).
I hate asking this question, because the instructions are somewhere probably blatantly obvious the I am overlooking, but how do I add a thin storage on sda to house my VMs and LXCs?

Pointing to a good post or video, or article would be more than sufficient.datacenter.PNG
lvm-thin.PNG

Nevermind. My steps were basically correct...
Find the drive name
fdisk -l

Partition the disk
sgdisk -N 1 /dev/sdb

reboot

Create a Physical Volume
pvcreate /dev/sdb1

Create Volume Group
vgcreate vg-taichi /dev/sdb

Create Thin Pool
lvcreate -l 100%FREE --thinpool tp-taichi vg-taichi

My error was where I went to add the LVM. I was trying to add it at the node level. Instead, go to
Dashboard->Datacenter->Storage->Add->LVM-Thin

Hopefully this helps someone else. :)

I to want to say thanks for posting the solution, though I was looking for the lvcreate steps.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!