New to Proxmox and some questions regarding 2.0 beta

gnome.gemini

Oct 17, 2011
Hello,
first a short story about me and my way to proxmox ;)
as I am on my way of reinstalling/upgrading my whole serversuite (centos 5.5 -> debian 6) and the reason was an exploit of a jailed chroot environment I choosed to virtualize the whole system as this is (hopefully) minimizing the chance of some security issues.

I tested many virtualisation solutions (in fact: openNebula, Archipel, eucalyptus, Convirture, Karesansui, Proxmox 1.9 and 2.0beta, OpenNode and Cloudmin) based on debian squeeze or centos 6 and my favorite after 3 day's of playing around with them is Proxmox 2.0 respective 1.9.

Now I've some questions regarding 2.0 beta:
- which features are missing right now? Is there an overview somewhere? I searched but didn't found anything
- how is package upgrading done? via the webinterface or is this done through ssh-session?
- is there a possibility of upgrading 2.0beta to future releases (beta 3 or stable) without reinstalling the environment?
- is there a possibility of upgrading 1.9 to 2.0 if stable?
- is there an estimated release date of 2.0?
- is there a possibility of performing a complete cpu analyzis? i.e. how much cpu time spend on vm xyz? The reason is, I want to see lacks in ressources before it is too late as some gameservers are running on the server

Thanks in advance for your answers. :)

Hello,
first a short story about me and my way to proxmox ;)
as I am on my way of reinstalling/upgrading my whole serversuite (centos 5.5 -> debian 6) and the reason was an exploit of a jailed chroot environment I choosed to virtualize the whole system as this is (hopefully) minimizing the chance of some security issues.

I tested many virtualisation solutions (in fact: openNebula, Archipel, eucalyptus, Convirture, Karesansui, Proxmox 1.9 and 2.0beta, OpenNode and Cloudmin) based on debian squeeze or centos 6 and my favorite after 3 day's of playing around with them is Proxmox 2.0 respective 1.9.

Now I've some questions regarding 2.0 beta:
- which features are missing right now? Is there an overview somewhere? I searched but didn't found anything
- how is package upgrading done? via the webinterface or is this done through ssh-session?
- is there a possibility of upgrading 2.0beta to future releases (beta 3 or stable) without reinstalling the environment?
- is there a possibility of upgrading 1.9 to 2.0 if stable?
- is there an estimated release date of 2.0?
- is there a possibility of performing a complete cpu analyzis? i.e. how much cpu time spend on vm xyz? The reason is, I want to see lacks in ressources before it is too late as some gameservers are running on the server

Thanks in advance for your answers. :)

just a few short answers. a major missing feature is the backup (this is where we are working on the moment), also user management is not there in full, but this is also not present in 1.9 anyways. and some other bugs as usual in a beta.
the current beta can be updated via apt, but some there is no guarantee that this works always. the same is for 2.0 beta to 2.0 stable.
as soon as 2.0 is stable, we provide a script to update from stable 1.9 to 2.0. we expect stable 2.0 in Q1/2012.

if you want to run in production now, go for the stable 1.9.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!