New node in a cluster can't use all of its storage

larsen

Feb 28, 2020
Hello,

we have been running Proxmox for some years on our first server and have now just started to use a second server. The cluster is set up and running, but I'm confused about how it works with storage now. PVE 6.1-8

Server 1:
1 TB disk space
"local" storage: 800 GB

Server 2:
8 TB disk space
"local" storage: only 94 GB

This has been configured automatically on installation. I noticed that server 2 has a lvm-thin pool "data" with ~7 TB, but this doesn't show up as a storage.

Could anyone please explain this to me?
Why only 94 GB for "local" and a lvm-thin pool, but no storage?
How would I migrate a VM that has a disk with more than 94 GB?

Lars

We create a lvm-thin storage when you install without changing the defaults. Did you already add the new node to a cluster with the old one?
I guess that you didn''t check the storage configuration after clustering.

Yes, the new node has already been added to the cluster. The state I described in my initial post is after clustering.

please post your /etc/pve/storage.cfg
I guess it has been overwritten during the cluster join, try to re-add the lvm-thin from your second node to the cluster storage.cfg. This can be done via GUI as well. Mark the storage as only available on your new node.

Via "Storage > Add > LVM-Thin"?
When I click on the dropdown for "Thin Pool", it's scanning, but doesn't find anything.

Code:
atl-vm03:~# cat /etc/pve/storage.cfg
dir: Backup
    path /var/lib/vz/dump
    content backup
    maxfiles 2

dir: local
    path /var/lib/vz
    content images,iso,vztmpl,rootdir
    maxfiles 0

yes, where you connected to the right node?

Reactions: MrPowerGamerBR
No, I thought this wouldn't make a difference. Apparently it does in this case. It's added now.

I want to migrate a VM from node 1 (where it's using a local storage (type "directory")) to the new node. Will I be able to configure it to use the lvm-thin storage then? Or how would I continue?

You can do a live migration with a live storage migration from local to target node with lvm-thin, this is as well possible via GUI.
Please make sure you have a backup, because your migration needs a storage conversion as well.

No this should be proxied to the required nodes automatically, just select the VM from GUI and click migration. (VM should be running)

Migration was fine, but I get an error when I try to "Move disk" to switch from local storage to lvmthin (using GUI on first node; VM is on second node):

Code:
Virtual Environment 6.1-8
Search
Virtual Machine 108 (atl) on node 'atl-vm03'
Server View
()
scsi0
lvmthin
Raw disk image (raw)
create full clone of drive scsi0 (local:108/vm-108-disk-1.qcow2)
  Rounding up size to full physical extent <465.77 GiB
  Logical volume "vm-108-disk-0" created.
transferred: 0 bytes remaining: 500109934592 bytes total: 500109934592 bytes progression: 0.00 %
transferred: 500109934592 bytes remaining: 0 bytes total: 500109934592 bytes progression: 100.00 %
transferred: 500109934592 bytes remaining: 0 bytes total: 500109934592 bytes progression: 100.00 %
  WARNING: Device /dev/dm-6 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
  WARNING: Device /dev/dm-6 not initialized in udev database even after waiting 10000000 microseconds.
  Logical volume "vm-108-disk-0" successfully removed
TASK ERROR: storage migration failed: command '/sbin/lvs --separator : --noheadings --units b --unbuffered --nosuffix --options lv_size /dev/pve/vm-108-disk-0' failed: got timeout

Will open another thread for the last problem as the original thread topic has been resolved with comment #7

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!