New install not using entire drive?

CGatWG

May 9, 2018
Hello all,

Returning newbie here. I installed ProxMox 5.1 on an IBM x3550 M3 rack server with a 272G RAID drive and a 134G Raid Drive. I installed it to the 134G drive.

The 134G drive (sdb) seems to appear as a 33G 'local' volume and a 76G 'local-lvm' volume in ProxMox Storage. Why does it seem that 24G is missing (lsblk below)? (33+73 != 134)
sdb 8:16 0 134.1G 0 disk
├─sdb1 8:17 0 1M 0 part
├─sdb2 8:18 0 256M 0 part /boot/efi
└─sdb3 8:19 0 133.9G 0 part
├─pve-swap 253:0 0 8G 0 lvm [SWAP]
├─pve-root 253:1 0 33.3G 0 lvm /
├─pve-data_tmeta 253:2 0 80M 0 lvm
│ └─pve-data 253:4 0 76.6G 0 lvm
└─pve-data_tdata 253:3 0 76.6G 0 lvm
└─pve-data 253:4 0 76.6G 0 lvm

Note that I am using ProxMox 5.1 because I want to test moving ESX VMs to it and then upgrade to 5.2.

Also. the 272G drive (sda) doesn't appear in ProxMox Storage web UI. I assume I will need to add it manually?

Thanks in advance

I think I've answered my question for myself, but any additional input is welcome:

I spent more time on the physical volumes, logical volumes, and group volumes. I was able to add the physical volume sda3 to the pve volume group using this:
vgextend pve /dev/sda3

As an experiment, I then resized the original local and local-lvm logical volumes as seen in ProxMox web UI:
lvextend -L+24G /dev/pve/root
lvextend -L+24G /dev/pve/data

Note: I had to do a resize2fs before the local drive showed the proper size in the web UI.
resize2fs /dev/pve/root

So in regards to my first question: I assume the missing storage was because of leaving some reserved space and how the drive was physically portioned. I might just re-install it again to determine that.

I then experimented further with creating a new logical volume that I wanted to add to ProcMox. So I created a new logical volume:

lvcreate -L 200G -T -n data2 pve

And then I added the definition for it to in /etc/pve/storage.cfg with the following:
lvmthin: local-lvm2
thinpool data2
vgname pve

Now my storage seems to be presented in an order that I understand. So the answer to my second question appears to be that I did have to add the storage space manually, first by adding the physical drive to the volume group, and then either extending an existing logical volume or creating a new one.

Simple summary:
-Physical volumes are one or more areas of one or more physical drives.
-A Volume Group is composed of one or more physical volumes.
-A Logical Volume is created from portions of the Volume Group total space.

You can also compress Program Files and Program Data folders, but please do not attempt to compress Windows folder or whole system drive! System files must be uncompressed while Windows starts. You can use private cloud server.

Thanks, but your recommendations are about increasing free space on a Windows hard drive. My question has nothing to do with Windows, but with the Linux storage used by ProxMox and how a 134GB was only listing about 109GB of actual storage as accessible. My second post was the answer to my own question.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!