aychprox

Renowned Member
Oct 27, 2015
Hi,

Previously i have

if ($r->header('X-Forwarded-For')) {
$reqstate->{peer_host} = $r->header('X-Forwarded-For');
}

before the auth_handler in HTTPServer.pm to get the real IP from reverse proxy.

Unfortunately the new HTTPServer.pm no longer work.
Any advise?

i am using reverse proxy.
so any bruteforce on admin / user login, i can get the real IP at pve-proxy in stead of getting the nginx reverse proxy IP.

user <-> nginx reverse proxy <-> proxmox node

proxmox node capture failed login log and trigger fail2ban to send command to nginx reverse proxy to drop the connection.

With the new HTTPServer.pm doesn't work anymore and proxmox node only logged nginx LAN IP rather than the attacker IP.

if you mean that you previously had this patched in to HTTPServer.pm , you will need to rebase your patch(es) - a big part of the code was factored into a new git repository/package: https://git.proxmox.com/?p=pve-http-server.git;a=summary
:confused: i am not programmer ... no idea.
since rpcenv changed to subclass, this is something I need to learn to modify following code to match new HTTPServer.pm

if ($r->header('X-Forwarded-For')) {
$reqstate->{peer_host} = $r->header('X-Forwarded-For');
}

hopefully someone can work this out.;)

Sorry for grave digging,

I'm having the exact same problem , tried the above in HTTPServer.pm but than i saw that it didn't work anymore,
Does anyone know the proper solution to this? ,
Extra info: i'm using nginx as a reverse proxy and i wouldn't even know where to start to get it working.

look at /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm line 1200ff

Hello,

I was facing the same issue...

Thanks you @fabian who pointed were to look at.

So inside : /usr/share/perl5/PVE/APIServer/AnyEvent.pm

my ($rel_uri, $format) = &$split_abs_uri($path, $self->{base_uri});
if (!$format) {
$self->error($reqstate, HTTP_NOT_IMPLEMENTED, "no such uri");
return;
}

if ($request->header('X-Forwarded-For')) {
$reqstate->{peer_host} = $request->header('X-Forwarded-For');
}

eval {
$auth = $self->auth_handler(
$method,
$rel_uri,
$ticket,
$token,
$api_token,
$reqstate->{peer_host}
);
};

I added the text in red before the "eval" line 1484

1683202789491.png

not without recompiling the binaries (it's written in Rust). feel free to file an enhancement request at https://bugzilla.proxmox.com , it might be doable as opt-in feature that doesn't require manual patching ;)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!