Networking problem bridged network @ htzner dedicated root server

den.pacca

Jul 13, 2020
i can't get my network working.

I have a dedicated root server @ Hetzner in germany.

I have one IP wiht one MAC i need to setup a bridged network trough that IP for an extra /26 subnet and a /64 ipv6 network.

I followed 6 diffrent manual's on the internet but none of them work.

Can you advice?

off coarse i followed that, 6 times. already 8 times it doesn't work!!!!
after i reboot i can't access the server anymore by browser

Hi,
off coarse i followed that, 6 times. already 8 times it doesn't work!!!!
after i reboot i can't access the server anymore by browser

Connect to Hetzner support to give you access to you Server over KVM then you can fix your issue.

Hi @den.pacca I also have servers at hetzner and had installed proxmox before tom banned me from this forum. Best thing he did tho, swapped to XCP-ng which is clearly a superior solution and doesn't have half the problems I faced when using proxmox, to which many questions on these forums are left unanswered and people end up erasing and reinstalling the full servers. That's not a solution for me.

Anyway the configuration is simple.

You don't "need" a bridged setup. You can use a bridged setup or a routed setup, giving that with the routed setup you must enable net.ipv4.ip_forward and add the route so traffic knows where to go.

Can you show your interfaces configuration? /etc/network/interfaces

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface enp5s0 inet manual

#primary IP @hetzner
auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 176.9.11.xxx/27
gateway 176.9.11.xxx
bridge_ports enp5s0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd0

#extra subnet @hetzner
auto vmbr1
iface vmbr1 inet static
address 46.4.198.xxx/26
bridge_ports none
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd0

try this:

Code:
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto enp5s0
iface enp5s0 inet static
address 176.9.11.xxx/27
gateway 176.9.11.xxx

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
address 46.4.198.xxx/26
gateway 176.9.11.xxx
bridge_ports enp5s0
bridge_stp off
bridge_fd0

in your example vmbr1 isn't bridged so unless you add a route and have ip forwarding enabled it won't work as its not bridged.

now I can't access the 176.19.11.xxx:8005 page on my browser anymore, I know need to ask hetzner a remote console and then I can change things again

its :8006 iirc

in your post you used ip 176.9.11.xxx and you're trying to access 176.19.11.xxx see if you're typing the address correctly and make sure the interfaces file is correctly filled.
if it is correctly configured this can't fail.

btw with hetzner you can just launch rescue and chroot to the system to change the configuration.
usually you should make a copy cp interfaces interfaces.bak so you can quickly restore connectivity if needed

the configuration is correct but ill check again.

I mistyped the numbers in above message I'm sorry

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!