Networking oddity.

WhiteStarEOF

Mar 6, 2012
Hey all,

I have been using a Proxmox based VM running pfSense as the firewall/router for my home network. Then Comcrap had an outtage, and my modem was searching for signal for an hour or so. When it got signal again, my VM couldn't get an IP address. Not only could it not get a real world IP, it couldn't even get a 192.168.100.X address that the cable modem dishes out when it can't get signal.

So I had used this setup successfully with Proxmox 2.0, and 2.1. After fruitless troubleshooting, I decided I wanted to go to 2.3 anyways, so I did. Still no love. Here's what the setup looks like.

eth0 bridged to vmbr0, Proxmox getting 192.168.15.253, the VM getting 192.168.15.254.
eth1 bridged to vmbr1, Proxmox getting 192.168.100.253, the VM getting whatever real world IP the cable modem got from Comcast.

With this setup, my entire network could ping 192.168.100.1 (cable modem), and the rest of the world.

As of the outtage, only Proxmox can ping 100.1. If I tear down vmbr1 and set eth1 to come up DHCP, Proxmox gets a real world IP no problem. But that doesn't help the VM.

Ideally I'd like my setup to work again. But being as it has never been a problem, I have no idea why it's broken.

Alternately, I could try passing the NIC directly to the VM. But that involves unloading modules so that Proxmox won't try to use that NIC. And tracking down modules is hard.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!