Network Labs With Proxmox 1:1 vmbr to switchport

Aric Letzring

Nov 16, 2018
I am using ProxMox 5.1 to do some labs for my Cisco CCNP Switch certification. I want to be able to connect a Windows VM running on my host to a physical switch, basically simulating a physical workstation. I have a 4 port NIC and bridged one of the interfaces on it with a vmbr. There is a cable from the NIC port going directly into the switch. The switchport on the Cisco 2960 comes-up, but I am unable to ping my gateway from the VM. I have no problem pinging the gateway from the switch itself. I want the VM on its own VLAN and I am not sure if that's where the problem is. I have the Cisco switchport set as a access port for VLAN 10, but I can't get this to work.

For considering this issue more precise information about IP configuration is necessary (e.g. /etc/network/interfaces from host, the VM's config file, the routing table from inside the VM etc.).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!