Network Configuration with port forwarding for VMs

knight26

Feb 4, 2017
Greetings Everyone,

I'm running Proxmox 4.4. I trying setup some web/game servers on a Windows 7 Pro VM. This is not in a commercial environment, solely home use. My network consists of a pfsense router and switch. I'm trying to find the best way to expose the game servers to the internet. I set proxmox up with a static ip on my pfsense box and vmbr0 bridge. I set the VM networking up as VirtIO device in bridge mode. The VM appears on my network, as it should, as a separate machine with it's on ip address with access to the internet but I can't figure out how to forward the ports for the VM. I have several web server plugins running on a FreeNAS box. I copied a NAT rule for one of those and adjusted the ports and ip address for the VM. I can access the game servers from my LAN without issue.

What's the best way to get this working? I've looked at the Network Model on the wiki but i don't really know what method I need to use. Do I need to forward the ports to the Proxmox host first in pfsense, then have the host forward them to the VM? That doesn't seem logical to me since I'm using pfsense as my firewall and it sees the VM as separate device on the network. I would think the host would be transparent and allow everything from pfsense to the VM as if it were not there.

Thanks,

In that case you need to do the port fotrwarding from the pfSense box.
Just verify that you can ping your VM from pfsense, and set portforwarding to the IP adress of the VM and port you want in the pfSense GUI.

Reactions: knight26
That's what I thought and how I had it configured. But it turns out in was not a problem with the Proxmox or pfSense configuration. It was a windows 7 firewall issue. I disabled it and everything seems to be working fine now.

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!