Network configuration, 2 routers, Management-network w/o DNS

cmonty14

Mar 4, 2014
Hello,
I have configured the network for usage of 2 routers.

There's a management network 192.168.0.0/24 to router A and another network 192.168.1.0/24 to router B (FritzBox).
The management network does not provide DNS, and therefore internet access via router A is not working.

Currently I have configured default gateway 192.168.0.1, and I cannot update Proxmox server:
Name resoluton fails.

This is output of ip route:
$ ip route
default via 192.168.0.1 dev vlan1 proto kernel onlink
192.168.0.0/24 dev vlan1 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.0.11
192.168.1.0/24 dev vmbr0 proto kernel scope link src 192.168.1.11

Can you please advise for configuration that any internet traffic is routet via 192.168.1.1 (FritzBox)?

THX

If it's only a DNS problem then why not just add router B as DNS?
If router B completely disables internet access then you can route your traffic through vmbr0. Just remove the gateway address from device vlan1 and add the Fritzbox address as gateway to vmbr0.
If this is all with concern to security, you might want to consider a local apt cache or a reverse proxy in your management network, though.

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!