hieve

May 29, 2017
Hello there,

I have a small problem with DHCP Server + Client in Virtual Machines using VirtIO network device.

dhcpd: 5 bad udp checksum in 5 packets

I alread read some other forums and mailing list for this problem and it looks like the VirtIO Network Device is not generating correct checksums for outgoing Traffic (or to get more direct they use the host machines checksum to save perfomance for udp packets)

there are some workarounds available were you generate the checksum via iptables for that specific packet type, but it had not worked at my machine(maybe the ports in this line are wrong , tried different ones with dhcp or the exact ports of the protocols, but still no change )
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t mangle -p udp --dport bootpc -j CHECKSUM --checksum-fill

switching the network device to e1000 solves this problem.

the both machines were fresh debian install and used pretty simple standard configurations, so this may be a real bug in the VirtIO drivers.

Maybe some can confirm that , if you google a bit for the problematic there are lots of threads about it and it should be already fixed since some version?

edit: saw that I posted in the false subforum, can someone move that?

Last edited:

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!