Network activity on guests

Trigve

Oct 15, 2016
Hi,
I'm seeing some weird network activity on the guest on the summary page. For each guest I see the same network activity, as if the activity was showing actually the host network activity. I'm using bonded interfaces (mode 1). Maybe this is the problem? For instance, I'm sending some data to NFS each day at 6:00 on host, but I see the same traffic also for all the guests.

Here is my network configuration:
Code:
# The bonded network interface
auto bond0
iface bond0 inet manual
    up ifconfig bond0 0.0.0.0 up
    bond-mode  1
    bond-primary eth0
    bond-slaves eth0 eth1
    bond-miimon 100
    bond-downdelay 400
    bond-updelay 800

iface eth0 inet manual

iface eth1 inet manual

auto vmbr0
iface vmbr0 inet static
        address  xxx
        netmask  xxx
        gateway  xxx
        bridge_ports bond0
        bridge_stp off
        bridge_fd 0
        bridge_maxwait 0
        bridge_maxage 0
        bridge_ageing 0

Thank You

bridge_maxage 0
i believe this is the cause

AFAIK this sets the max age parameter of the bridge to 0, which means the bridge always sends all packets to all interfaces, because it does not save the arp entries.
so all traffic going to this bridge will get sent to all ports/nics connected to this bridge

edit: changed wrong bridge_maxwait to bridge_maxage

So I've changed the "bridge_maxage 12" restared the server and it is still the same. Any other explanations?

Thank You

So I've read it about a bit more and it looks like that "bridge_ageing 0" was causing the trouble (looks like as it hasn't been caching the MAC table).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!