need a Noob exlation of how storage works

mattman110

Renowned Member
Jun 15, 2014
so windows.

hdd - partition - format = usable space that you can see in a os

Raid - Volume (the group of disks) - partition - format = usable space

how the hell dose proxmox work with all these volume groups (vgdisplay) , logical groups (lvdisplay) , physical volumes (pvdisplay)

im looking at support guides and just cant get it

i posted this a wile ago here http://forum.proxmox.com/threads/23869-Problem-with-LVM-within-ISCSI and stimm makes no sense

so the scenario is

dell pe2950

raid one ,two 73gb drives
raid two , two 143gb drives

i don't care what i do with those.

then i have a nexsan raid array that has the total capacity of 6tb

this i want 2/3 volumes one for every think proxmox as i have 4 pe2950 and plan on running a cluster, this will be all the vm. i would like a storage place that i can keep all the iso if this can be in a viable in windows format i can just have these in a folder and not need the next partition , and if i cant the last just windows partition for all the network storage like documents pictures videos ect

the storage in the server is really just for local high demand and regular access stuff, witch i gather cant be on line so if that server falls over and another one picks up if the data was on that server wont work. if it is on the iscsi all machines have access to it all the time regardless of single machine failure. so i want to kind ditch the local storage unless i need it for a reason? and have every think apart from proxmox os its self on the machine

so can someone please give me a idiots guide or video (video preferred) to exactly how the storage model compares to windows so i can get how it works. then another telling or guiding me how to achieve what i want

thanks every one

um i think i have worked something out

is this statement correct

bob has 5 HDD in his LEFT of 1GB each and in his RIGHT hand 5 HDD witch are 5GB each

the physical volume of ONE drive in his LEFT hand is 1GB
the logical volume of ALL the LEFT hand drives would be 5GB

the physical volume of ONE drive in his RIGHT hand is 5GB
the logical volume of ALL the RIGHT hand drives would be 25GB

the volume group would be the LEFT AND RIGHT HAND LV with would be a total size of 30GB

the volumes are just groups of drives ?

so to use all of a 1TB HDD it would have a a VG on top of a LV on top of a PV ?

HDD
PV
LV
VG

then you just format it ? or dose it need a partition first ?

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!