naming vzdump backup

tobi

Feb 7, 2013
hey guys,

i created a backup with vzdump and because of the misleading naming i wanted to give the backup manually a new name ... so i went to /var/lib/vz/dump and edited the backup to the desired name .. the problem is now: after renaming the backup file, now it disappears in the backup list... so i cannot restore it to a machine because it will not be shown .... is there any way to renaming a vzdump backup file and to restoring it ?

best regards tobi

no, currently not.

if you go into server view and select the storage where you have the backup, you can check the storage's contents and from there you can actually restore the backups (but you have manually enter the VMID).

this view is not as strict in displaying the contents. I just created an empty testfile in $storage/dump/ called vzdump-openvz-200-testname.tar.lzo and it DOES show up in the contents menu.

In case you didnt know this: restoring backups into new machines from the storage-content-menu actually allows you to skip the "create a new dummy VM"-part of "restoring" a backup into a fresh VM.
Dont get too fancy with this tho, I hear the backup system is going to see a HUGE overhaul in the next proxmox release (and is currently being tested)

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!