multiple zsync send tasks creates multiple snapshot bases

dbayer

Renowned Member
Apr 15, 2016
Hello,

I've been using zsync to backup my VM's, it works great. However I'm running out of disk space on the receiving pool. I think it's because of my setup. Here's an overview

I'm creating 4 zsync tasks per VM.

# VM105 Sync
*/15 * * * * root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback/15min --name 105-15min --maxsnap 97 --method local
15 23 * * * root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback/daily --name 105-daily --maxsnap 8 --method local
15 23 * * 6 root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback/weekly --name 105-weekly --maxsnap 5 --method local
15 23 1 * * root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback/monthly --name 105-monthly --maxsnap 13 --method local

As you can see, I have each task going to a different directory. This is creating 4 base copies, one in each directory. That obviously is using a lot of disk space.

Can I put all of these tasks snapshots in one directory safely? And will that reduce the amount of disk space used? For example, would this setup work better?

# VM105 Sync
*/15 * * * * root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback --name 105-15min --maxsnap 97 --method local
15 23 * * * root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback --name 105-daily --maxsnap 8 --method local
15 23 * * 6 root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback --name 105-weekly --maxsnap 5 --method local
15 23 1 * * root pve-zsync sync --source 105 --dest bpool/vmback --name 105-monthly --maxsnap 13 --method local

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi,

yes, this is possible as long every task has its unique name.

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the reply. Just to confirm, this will reduce the disk space requirement on the receiving pool as well?

Thanks,
Daniel

Hi Wolfgang,

Thanks for the reply.

Just to confirm, this will also reduce the disk space requirement on the receiving pool?

Thanks,
Daniel

Sorry I was wrong.

The pve-zsync and pvesr code are different and I mixed it up.

Hi,
you can use znapzend for such an scenario.
Like send one day every 15 min an snapshot, keep one week one snapshot a day and one month onces every week and so on.

Work well, only if you use it with pve-zsync together, the pve-zsync snaps are transmitted too and must be cleaned by an extra script.

Udo

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!