Multiple physical drives

Jan Kristensen

Feb 19, 2018
Hi All..

I have just started to use Proxmox in my lab, but I have an issue that I really hope someone can help me with..

For some testing of Windows Storage spaces I wanted to map 4 physical drives to one of my vm's, i have tried some diffrent methods of mapping the drives..

qm set 101 --virtio1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive1
qm set 101 --virtio2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive2
qm set 101 --virtio3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive3
qm set 101 --virtio4 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive4

This seems to work, i can see 4 scsi controllers and 4 scsi drives in windows device manager, but in the windows management console i can only see one of the drives. It is the same in powershell, only one drive listed.

Then I tried to change to the Megaraid scsi controller.

qm set 101 --scsihw megasas --scsi1 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive1
qm set 101 --scsihw megasas --scsi2 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive2
qm set 101 --scsihw megasas --scsi3 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive3
qm set 101 --scsihw megasas --scsi4 /dev/disk/by-id/ata-drive4

Now I only have one controller, but sadly also only one drive in device manager.

Last i tried to create 4 virtual disks, and map them to the megaraid, that works just fine.

qm set 101 --scsi1 local-lvm:vm-101-disk1,size=100G
qm set 101 --scsi2 local-lvm:vm-101-disk2,size=100G
qm set 101 --scsi3 local-lvm:vm-101-disk3,size=100G
qm set 101 --scsi4 local-lvm:vm-101-disk4,size=100G

The issue is only when I try to use the physical disks.

Anyone have an idea how I can get the 4 drives mapped to my windows vm, the right way..

Regards

are the disks properly formatted? i know in windows you have to first initialize the disks with the
disk management tool (or named similar)

Hi, I have tried with raw unformated and paritioned drives, same result, only the one with SCSI ID 1 can be used..

As said the virtual drives i create works fine, all 4 are shown in disk management, I can see the SCSI ID of them all, and are ready for initialisation.

As far as I can tell this happens only with physical disks..

Regards

try with virtio-scsi controller

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!