Multiple Networks/NICs ?

wnpaul

Jun 2, 2009
Hello,

the virtual machines I need to run on my proxmox are attached to multiple networks:

(a) A firewall appliance which is attached to the WAN router and the LAN

(b) An Asterisk server attched to (another) WAN router, LAN, and a special VoIP LAN

The host machine has four NICs, one of which (eth0) got set up with vmbr0 automatically. What do I need to do in order to use the other NICs from within virtual machines (both KVM and VZ)?

Thanks,

Wolf

Hello,

the virtual machines I need to run on my proxmox are attached to multiple networks:

(a) A firewall appliance which is attached to the WAN router and the LAN

(b) An Asterisk server attched to (another) WAN router, LAN, and a special VoIP LAN

The host machine has four NICs, one of which (eth0) got set up with vmbr0 automatically. What do I need to do in order to use the other NICs from within virtual machines (both KVM and VZ)?

Thanks,

Wolf

take a look here:
http://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/Network_Model

Yes, that was the first thing I looked at.

So I added a section for each of vmbr1-3 to /etc/network/interfaces.

Then I rebooted the machine, and when it was back up, my vmbr1-3 blocks were gone, and instead there was a line for each ethernet card there, which hadn't been there before:

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
iface eth2 inet manual
iface eth3 inet manual

and the only interfaces /sbin/ifconfig showed were lo, venet0, eth0, and vmbr0.

So how can I make my additional bridge definitions permanent?

And how do I associated additional interfaces with OpenVZ virtual machines?

Yes, that was the first thing I looked at.

So I added a section for each of vmbr1-3 to /etc/network/interfaces.

Then I rebooted the machine, and when it was back up, my vmbr1-3 blocks were gone, and instead there was a line for each ethernet card there, which hadn't been there before:

iface eth0 inet manual
iface eth1 inet manual
iface eth2 inet manual
iface eth3 inet manual

and the only interfaces /sbin/ifconfig showed were lo, venet0, eth0, and vmbr0.

So how can I make my additional bridge definitions permanent?

And how do I associated additional interfaces with OpenVZ virtual machines?

just add the additional bridges on the web interface.

For the external IF, with a public IP address, can I give the KVM guest the same IP Address as the corresponding Bridge on the host? If not, is there a way to connect the KVM guest to an external IP address without assigning another one in the same subnet to the bridge on the host? They are in short supply, after all ...

For the external IF, with a public IP address, can I give the KVM guest the same IP Address as the corresponding Bridge on the host?

No, but the bridge does not need an IP at all (but it is diffficult to tell without more info about your setup).

About

The Proxmox community has been around for many years and offers help and support for Proxmox VE, Proxmox Backup Server, and Proxmox Mail Gateway.
We think our community is one of the best thanks to people like you!

Get your subscription!

The Proxmox team works very hard to make sure you are running the best software and getting stable updates and security enhancements, as well as quick enterprise support. Tens of thousands of happy customers have a Proxmox subscription. Get yours easily in our online shop.

Buy now!